Viper connect on Royale 400

FX also has a line of optics these days. Discuss these scopes here, or share wat works best on your FX airgun!

Viper connect on Royale 400

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 3:37 pm

Well after treating myself to an MTC Viper Connect I had to devise a way of mounting it to suit me so in brief here's what I did.

First priority using one of the old BKL 301 mounts from my Mamba was to temporarily place the scope on the rifle to check for eye relief - very short on this scope, and get it placed so it shouldered naturally. I put the double mount on the front dovetail and after a couple of times moving the scope backward and foreward got it right.

Next got a new set of BKL 301's and 300's - I wanted the double mount to modify for the back and a standard single mount for the front of the scope, they are the same height so you can mix and match them to suit.

Here's the before and after with the BKL, the pic doesn't show the finished item and I left it unpainted for clarity, it was smoothed and painted before fitting, Mr hacksaw and Mr file did their stuff pretty well:

Image Image

Here's the close ups of the mounts showing how it fits together:

Here's the whole rifle so you can see how it looks

Viper Connect 3-12x32

Mamba 3-12x44:

Interestingly although the specification says it will focus down to 10 yards, this is an understatement, I had the scope on 10x and it focuses down to 8 yards with crystal clarity, it is also very clear (but not crystal) at 6 yards - more than usable - this is on 10x remember!! I tried it on 3x and it will focus very sharply at 4 yards - not that you'd really be doing anything much at those distances of course.

The turrets have a very nice positive click feel to them, the side focus is smooth to operate as is the magnification ring - this has a detent at 10x which is a useful feature. I'll post more when I have been out with it again.

I really like the SCB reticle, took a bit of time to get my little camera to take a reasonable shot though and it's still not perfect but it gives an idea of how fine it is:

Oh and it goes without saying, these scopes like all the MTC range come well packaged so for people who like boxes here you go - sorry the box is empty :P

Image Image
Last edited by Zero4k on Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: Viper connect on Royale 400

Postby PolarWolf on Thu May 17, 2012 5:09 pm

You need to fix your images :)

Anyway, on to the Connect. I've doubted for a while at the MTC stand in Kelmarsh to get one. In the end I passed up on it. Yeah, it's nice and clear, but I've some issues with it. First, it needs to be mounted way too far back to my liking. Second to look through it I had to pretty much glue my eyeball to the reticle, which means the rim of it was rubbing my nose. No likey, so I skipped and ordered me another Leupold instead ;)
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 5:52 pm

Hi Polar - you just can't get any decent photographers these days :P

I think the Connect is very much down to personal preferences, strange as it may seem I actually prefer the contact and short eye relief, took a little while to get used to it on my buddy's rifle I must admit, but having used it for a day it feels natural now. One thing I do like is that no light can get into the scope from the ocular end. I only have the eyepiece extender touching my eyebrow but I can understand why a lot o people wouldn't like this arrangement.

Regarding the mounting position, I tried it with the two BKL 301's on the front dovetail as a lot of people have done and this was too far forward for the Royale, then I tried one on the rear dovetail, that was too far back so that's why I ended up cutomising a BKL. There's a link on the MTC site that goes to a couple of guys who make custom mounts specifically for the Connect to fit a Daystate but they can be adapted for most rifles I reckon. ;)
Zero4k

Postby PolarWolf on Thu May 17, 2012 6:09 pm

Zero4k wrote:Hi Polar - you just can't get any decent photographers these days :P

Wouldn't know, I get a 403 on the two links and there aren't any more piccies to be found :)

I think the Connect is very much down to personal preferences, strange as it may seem I actually prefer the contact and short eye relief, took a little while to get used to it on my buddy's rifle I must admit, but having used it for a day it feels natural now. One thing I do like is that no light can get into the scope from the ocular end. I only have the eyepiece extender touching my eyebrow but I can understand why a lot o people wouldn't like this arrangement.

Regarding the mounting position, I tried it with the two BKL 301's on the front dovetail as a lot of people have done and this was too far forward for the Royale, then I tried one on the rear dovetail, that was too far back so that's why I ended up cutomising a BKL. There's a link on the MTC site that goes to a couple of guys who make custom mounts specifically for the Connect to fit a Daystate but they can be adapted for most rifles I reckon. ;)

Yeah, I know that mount, the MTC guys are using it too. It's a custom designes one by a couple of guys, I think it was like 35GBP to buy. It does make the mounting look a lot better though :)

Scopes are personal preference anyway, and the connect is no different. It wasn't for me, that's all :)
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut

I've had:
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 7:17 pm

PolarWolf wrote:Wouldn't know, I get a 403 on the two links and there aren't any more piccies to be found :)

Odd, works great for me, are you are using IE? I'll change the links to plain old url's....
Zero4k

Postby PolarWolf on Thu May 17, 2012 7:29 pm

Zero4k wrote:
PolarWolf wrote:Wouldn't know, I get a 403 on the two links and there aren't any more piccies to be found :)

Odd, works great for me, are you are using IE? I'll change the links to plain old url's....

No, and besides a 403 is a server side error :) A.k.a. "authentication required" or "access denied".
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut

I've had:
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 7:55 pm

Yes I know what 403's are I just don't understand why you are getting them, 3rd time lucky, I've just popped a quick page up instead so hopefully no more errors :?
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 24, 2012 1:45 pm

I've been out and had a little more shooting time with this scope, the most noticeable things I found is the extra brightness of the image together with the same good clarity I had with tha Mamba, and with the wider field of view you definitely get faster target acquisition. You won't appreciate how fine the reticle is unless you look through one, the Mamba's is pretty fine but this is almost a work of art. I was shooting targets at 30 and 45 yards right up to dusk - OK not the most amazing range distances but it's all I had available until I get down to the range again. The illuminated reticle only lights up the center cross, if you turn it up nearly full you can make out the rest of the reticle against a dark background. Early morning the next day I took out 3 wood pigeons who were wreaking havoc in the vegetable patch, two at around 35 yards and one at 20 - I gave them to a couple I know, his Wife makes a mean pigeon curry.

I'm glad I mounted the scope using the rear most position available because if you had the mount in the center position just past the side focus it would interfere with turning it - well at least for me it would, plus it would block the range markings entirely. You could overcome this if you adapted or made a custom side wheel and pointer though.

I'm very pleased with this scope for another reason too, it sits a further back on the rifle which has shifted the balance a tiny amount toward the back so it feels even more point-able. I don't have it mounted as far back as some people do, I tried it and it didn't feel right, could be because I tend to lean into the rifle for added contact and stability. This is a very nice scope, it may not be a Leupold, Zeiss, or Schmidt and Bender but for uk air gun ranges and our low power limit it is more than enough 8-)
Zero4k

Postby adywilson on Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:47 pm

Looks a very tidy job you have done on the mounts. I had a friend put mine on his milling machine. Lazy I know, and not everyone has a mate with a milling machine!
adywilson

Postby marinos.a on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:39 am

nice job Zero4k

you gotta love mates with milling machines adywilson :D
T12 Whisper
Cutlas
Royal 400
marinos.a

Next

Return to Optics