How the uk ended up with the 12 ft/lb limit

Whatever you feel like talking about. But please keep it somewhat relevant, there are other and better places for general chit-chat.

How the uk ended up with the 12 ft/lb limit

Postby Zero4k on Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:46 pm

A question often asked on air gun forums but to my knowledge never answered.

The following information is quoted from: http://www.reviewcentre.com/review221052.html

How was the 12ft /lbs energy limited for rifles and 6ft.lbs for pistols conceived?

Prior to the 1969 Dangerous Air weapons Act, there was no power limit for air rifles or pistols.
The two leading British air rifles at that time were the Webley Mk3 and the BSA Air Sporter, which achieved about 12ft.lbs. The Webley Premier pistol achieved under 4 ft.lbs.
The American pump up .20 Sheridan achieved considerably more than 12ft.lbs and the Crosman CO2 pistol over 6 ft.lbs. These U.S. products started to make inroads into the British market.
It was at this time that the Chiswick flyover was being built and some disgruntled person fed up with the noise started taking pot shots at the vehicles, and when apprehended, the rifle was found to be a Sheridan.
What an opportunity to stop this rifle in its tracks.

I was reliably informed in 1970, by Mr. Davies a senior employee of the then Webley and Scott Ltd. that a Member of Parliament, related to one of the directors of the two companies, complained bitterly about these dangerous air rifles in the House. Consequently the Sheridan and other American pump ups were put on ticket. Also for good measure the American Crosman CO2 pistols and rifles, because they used "toxic" gas. So what started as a form of protection for the British airgun industry has since then plagued us with this "capable" legal limit of 12 ft.lbs for rifles and 6ft.lbs for pistols. It probably never was envisaged that there would be modern mainly PCP British rifles and pistols.

Hugh Earl Pax Guns.

So now you know.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: How the uk ended up with the 12 ft/lb limit

Postby Graeme on Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:37 am

Nice. :!:
You really need to get a FAC Ian. :D
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah...... something like that :|
Just PM'd you with some questions buddy.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Tue Sep 06, 2011 1:38 pm

I'd been told that story by somebody before but no idea who till you posted... It was either Bob (clubshot) or it was Hugh Earl one or tuther .. i think they mentioned an incident involving the Crosman and a bridge !.. .. but cannot for the life of me.. May come to me.

I'll click on the link latter. :o
Graeme

Return to Totally off-topic chatter