pest or not ?

pest or not ?

Postby PAUL HES on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:35 pm

Hi all sitting here thinking ,I do rat shooting of a night which I use my vermi mk2 for ,I have a 40 meter back garden which is my shooting range with allsorts of targets from 10-35 meters handy for zeroing at all different ranges .
Thing I was thinking about was I get a lot of magpies ,pigeons ,crows etc in my garden which has good backstops ,would the sight of one of these corvids be ok to shoot on my property in my boundaries ??
Now they are classed as pest but is that only on farm land ?? lets say a Magpie is destroying a nest and eating eggs we don't see them do that ?
so he has done that a mile away and lands in my garden for a rest could I shoot him ???
What are your thoughts or indeed any laws you may know about
Paul
fx verminator mk1 .22
fx verminator mk2 .22
fx wildcat .22
fx bobcat mk2 .177
bsa r10 mk2 .22
fx royale syn .177
PAUL HES

Re: pest or not ?

Postby Solo1 on Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:57 pm

I am assuming that you live in the UK and so,under the terms of the General Licence all birds are protected by law but pest species may be shot under certain conditions; i.e. crop damage or health issues. Neither of these conditions would be accepted as good reasons for shooting pest species in your garden under the General Licence. There have been successful prosecutions brought by the RSPCA for shooting pest birds species in these circumstances.

Strangely enough, it is still quite legal to shoot mammalian pests such as rabbits, rats and squirrels in your garden, provided that it is done humanely.
Solo1

Postby PAUL HES on Sun Jan 03, 2016 3:48 pm

Hi yes live in Dorset thanks for reply
fx verminator mk1 .22
fx verminator mk2 .22
fx wildcat .22
fx bobcat mk2 .177
bsa r10 mk2 .22
fx royale syn .177
PAUL HES