My first FX hope it is worth the wait

My first FX hope it is worth the wait

Postby ashes5 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:49 pm

I just paid for my first FX gun. FX impact silver 30 cal from AoA. I hope it is worth the wait. I hope this will be the last air rifle I will need to purchase. Conversion kit is about 500 dollars for anyone that is interested in knowing. I am from Utah USA. I should see the gun next week.
ashes5

Re: My first FX hope it is worth the wait

Postby Ian on Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:47 pm

I'd appreciate any reviews you can give on the Impact as it's one of the guns I'm considering getting. The .30 and .25 (or both) calibre's are my preferred barrels and accuracy reports of up to 85 yards would be fantastic. Thanks in anticipation. Ian.
Ian

Postby ashes5 on Mon Nov 23, 2015 3:48 pm

I mounted a 3 to 9 Leupold scope. I put 100 rnds through the gun. The gun does use some air. No problems with the gun as far as function. The bottle holds 250 bar which is nice. The last 5 rnds I shot were at 45 yrds and I shot at a .437 dia. bull five places using my Waste Management garbage can as a rest. All five shots were in the black and in the top quadrant of the bull. Very impressed with the gun so far.
ashes5

Postby Ian on Tue Nov 24, 2015 2:51 pm

Thanks for that ashes.......so what do you think the shot count is likely to be ? Ian.
Ian

Postby ashes5 on Tue Nov 24, 2015 6:25 pm

I only filled twice and haven't been able to get to the 250 bar I filled to about 200 bar. I shot down to 130 bar. Kind of a guess 40 to 60 range at max power. I will know a lot more over the holidays.
ashes5

Postby boss_man on Mon Nov 30, 2015 6:52 pm

I'd be curious to hear about your new rifle in .30 caliber since I just bought an FX Boss and I was thinking about waiting for that one instead.

Anyway, if it is anything like my FX Boss your accuracy will be quite amazing! I am so impressed by the smooth twist barrel (was my first FX) - it is no wonder FX wins so much at FT competition.

Also, .30 caliber is quite devastating and also quite a bit more dangerous (just heard about a kid hit and seriously injured hundreds of yards away by an upwards shot from a big bore air rifle taken at a dairy farm and that was after it had passed through a bird).

If you are trying to fill your rifle with a stirrup pump then I have never personally been able to get much past 200 bar with one (I now finally own a Daystate compressor thank goodness).

Also, what size is your bottle? (That is just as important as the pressure you can reach).

Robert
boss_man

Postby Ian on Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:50 pm

Hi Robert, from what I've read about the impact the accuracy should be as good as the Boss. The carbon fibre bottle on the .25 and .30 is 470cc so just slightly less than yours. Ian.
Ian

Postby boss_man on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:43 pm

I'm sure that the accuracy will be good - the FX smooth twist barrels are excellent.

Still.... I am very interested in hearing full reviews and reports on the new FX Impact.

The interchangeable calibre idea has been done before so the new rifle has to also score highly in other departments to become a huge hit.

My decision to buy a Boss was partially based on me wondering whether I'd ever actually change the calibre of a rifle even if I could.
boss_man

Postby Ian on Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:56 pm

I've recently sold my Boss and wondering if I did the right thing....but I just get bored easily with most guns and change a lot. I loved the calibre though and hence the attraction of having both a .30 and .25 appeals a lot. Hopefully ashes will keep us updated. There's also some good videos done by 'tominco' on the Airgun Nation site.....worth a look. Ian.
Ian

Postby ashes5 on Tue Dec 29, 2015 2:01 am

A little update on my FX impact. I started out having trouble with my scope. It ended up being bad from the factory. But I put 450 rnds through the gun before I went to the scope looking for the problem. Now it is cold and only gives me 15 to 20 minutes of shooting time. Back to the gun. I am shooting at 820 fps with the 50.15 grain JSB. I haven't touched a factory setting. I found using a good solid grip helps tremendously out at 50 yards. I went from 1.5 inch groups to stacking pellets 3 to 4 at a time. (did I mention it is cold so some wild shots were because I am shivering and my rest isn't the best) I have put about 600 rnds through the gun and no function problems. The 30 cal. does eat some air. I get about 45=50 good shots when I can fill to 250 bar. (my setup will only output to 3000 psi) I put a new scope on and have shot 150 rnds through the gun. 1/2 dozen magpies and a few starlings have met their demise. Now that I have the scope problem solved and the temperature problem accounted for, many more will fall to their death.
A big temperature change makes a big difference. 75 degrees indoors to 15 degrees outdoors. You need to get your shots in quick or figure on re-sighting the gun once the gun cools to outside temp. Make sure your thumb screw for the barrel is tight. I found mine loose and it seemed to make a difference once I tightened it. I am hoping for some 40 degree weather to get some long range time in.
Any feedback from other people would be appreciated.
ashes5

Return to FX General