Whatever you feel like talking about. But please keep it somewhat relevant, there are other and better places for general chit-chat.

Re: Newbie

Postby requoil on Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:56 pm

Hi Ian, there you go, I'm confused already, I said I know nothing about NV etc. Now IR illuminators I know are fancy torches with a wavelength just below that of visible light so that we and the bunnies can't see the light without a NV scope, but I don't have the faintest idea what a IR laser illuminator is. Please enlighten me.
Also, and I know this is a big ask, how do they work, what is inside the tube that lets you see objects illuminated be the IR "torch". And if possible can you give me a simplified description of how image intensifiers work, or are they the same thing? Stop laughing, I'm being serious.
I will understand most things explained (up to "A" level maths, physics, and chemistry) its the terminology the beats me most of the time. When I started using a computer, I'd ask how do you do something, the reply would be just half a dozen steps, but using words that might as well have been Chinese. :shock:
requoil

Postby ian johnstone on Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:12 am

Yes, Infra Red Illuminators are needed too extend the range of a NV unit (esp. less efficient Gen 1 type).
LED IR units are great for close work (airgun ranges), Laser IRs are for long range & spotting - because of the intense & narrow beam a laser gives off great care must be taken not to burn (overload) the Image Intensifier (really the special coatings inside the IIT).

Here's a useful link...

http://www.nightvision.ru/eng/nightvision/

A few typos in there 8-) but otherwise its sound.
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Thu Sep 03, 2009 2:40 pm

Thank you for your reply, the website that you linked is very interesting and I've got the site in my "favourites" folder. The other problem I have is the lack of experience, therefore I don't know what type/quality of reticule each model has, that I suppose is a matter for personal preference. I've never looked through an NV so I don't know what the options are, I assume they must be like single point sites with chevrons etc.
I didn't go on the rat shoot yesterday evening as I was supposed to have, I am more of a fair weather guy than out in all weathers!
requoil

Postby ian johnstone on Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:25 pm

Here's some more useful links (with pictures etc)..

http://www.nightvisionmall.com/Merchant ... y_Code=ANV

& a lot more detail here...

http://www.nightvisionforums.com/about1 ... -faqs.html

Being US sites they have easy access to Gen 3 :( (Gen '4' is marketing hype).

I don't know the ret. on your model but I was extremely pleased with my Sentinel ret. (Dedicated NV rets can be rubbish), Yukon, the makers, are generally very aware of the 'recreational market' - many others are made more for the military market.
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:45 pm

Great sites, just what I need, I hope I'm not going to regret not paying more for the scope. I am also thinking about getting a general NV with a day scope adapter, have you any recommendations at all?
requoil

Previous

Return to Totally off-topic chatter