Hawke bubble level...

Whatever you feel like talking about. But please keep it somewhat relevant, there are other and better places for general chit-chat.

Hawke bubble level...

Postby Zero4k on Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:09 pm

I don't use a bubble for shooting because I have a pretty good eye for levels but I bought a Hawke Bubble Level to set up the scope and as usual combined it with a vertical plumb line to get it as accurate as possible, but after using it the scope was miles out of level - you could see it when holding the rifle. When I looked carefully (which I should have done in the first place) I noticed a minor problem with it, the yellow circle highlights where the bubble contacts the receiver, this causes the issue indicated by the red circle, yup there's a gap at one end the consequence of which is a level that is not square to the receiver:

A bit of light filing is called for to to produce the following so it doesn't contact the reciever, I'll spray it at some point but for the photo I've left it as is:

Finished result fitted - now the damn thing is accurate:
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: Hawke bubble level...

Postby Graeme on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:30 pm

Fixed mine by just tilting the Gun.. :D Bet you feel sick now after all that work :lol:

Being plastic it easy to over tighten the screw and cause that problem.. You didn't did you. :o .

Enough leg pulling.. Mine was out too but not by as much as that.. One thing i noticed, and i thought i had a good eye for level.. Was when i was out shooting the bunnies.. If they moved wile i was aiming.. Time I'd tracked them through the scope and back on aim . i was no longer as level as i thought.

Great pics 8-)
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Thu Aug 18, 2011 12:55 pm

Nope, no feeling of sickness here :lol:

Mine is made in aluminium (aluminum to keep the spell checker happy), and even though it's got an allen bolt through it I only nip it up finger tight as it's only on the gun for a short while. But it really was way out, only took about 10 minutes to sort though. I know what you mean about not getting it quite 100% right under certain circumstances or conditions but I bet that's a rarity rather than a rule ;)
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:23 am

err :?: Define the words Mine and is... :twisted:

.. .. . :oops:

I thought the one here was plastic.. I might be wrong :? .. That will be a first :oops: :o

:D :lol:
. .. . .. . :idea:

Somebody make a post Quick and change the subject :idea: .. Ask him how many FP he's got or something :lol:
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 21, 2011 6:40 pm

:lol:, "mine" as in I paid for it so it belongs to me, "is" meaning it is made of aluminum ;)
Some may be made of plastic but not many I'd guess, if yours is the Hawke one I doubt it will be plastic.

Totally off topic - but it's my topic :shock:, just ordered some scales - said I would a while back, going to try these ones from Ebay AMW-Gemini, not the best but hopefully fairly accurate, they have mostly reasonable reviews on Amazon.com. When they arrive I'll get some serious pellet weighing and testing done, should have my JSB Exact Express pellets (2x25 test packs from Pellet Perfect) by then too. It's a pain in the butt getting them in the uk as the only place to supply them to the uk is Intershoot - being based in Omagh Northern Ireland they are outside the uk mainland and that means away from the influence / control of AA and Rothery's.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:35 am

Scales arrived yesterday together with the sample packs - great :D ...... Got all set up and fired the first shot noticed the Royale was a little noisier than usual, yup the breach O ring decided to leak, not bad I guess as the rifle is nearly a year old and has had a few thousand pellets through it. Contacted ASI and ordered two replacements plus the O rings for the breach to receiver seal - all in stock 8-). I think I'll replace the breach O ring at around 6 months from now on just to keep it right.

EDIT:
O rings and spare breach ordered yesterday lunchtime from ASI, arrived in the post this morning - that is truly excellent service 8-)
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:52 am

Nice one :)
What sort of money were they ?
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Thu Aug 25, 2011 11:10 am

Scales? £24.99, weighed a few pellets yesterday and it's surprising just how much they vary, the ones with the least variation seem to be the Daystate HE's but I haven't weighed them all yet - far too many tins to go through, I took about 20 from each tin for now - it's a bit of a boring job.

The scales go down to .001 gn, they seem to be fairly consistent, I took 10 pellets and noted their weights, then re-weighed them in a different order to see if the scales gave the same result and they did surprisingly enough! I had to occasionally re-zero them during use but as they are cheap it's to be expected. The only criticism is the design of the weighing pan but I didn't use is as the area it sits on is flat so it's perfect for sitting pellets in. Tweezers are also supplied making placing items easier. Overall I think they are good value for the money.

:idea: One tip for using scales, use a firm surface like a window sill, tables / desks are too wobbly and the slightest movement will upset the reading.

The 4 x O rings from ASI came to £4.00, the brass breech was £8.36 (£12.36 including shipping)
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Thanks Zero

My scales are not that good at weighing the same pellets twice for the same reading if i leave a few mins between readings :?

China E bay and cheap are words that spring to mind..
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:53 pm

No problem Graeme :), you hit nail on the head buddy - Ebay and cheap foreign imports go hand in hand. I've looked at loads of scales over the past few weeks and read reviews on a lot too, some don't give the same reading, some do, but I think it's luck of the draw. I just wanted more than a .01 reading but that's probably OTT really if I'm honest. I just can't get over how much the weights vary in a tin, some by nearly 1gn - that's a helluva difference in my mind.

If I get really bored I'll weigh a 40 of each, sort the results and post them :ugeek: :lol:.
Zero4k

Return to Totally off-topic chatter