Playing Pistols & Pellets

Yes, all kinds of non-FX airguns have a place here. Do consider the proper locations for these discussions though.

Playing Pistols & Pellets

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:51 pm

OK, so I didn't know what to head this up with :oops:
Spent today (last day of holiday before going back to work from the Xmas break) plinking with a break barreled pistol, the SMK 25, good fun, even if hard work (it's big!) trying different pellets through it showed up a strange fenom....phenomi.....thing. It's equally accurate with Daystate Rangemaster Li pellets as it is with AA Fields, but even stranger, it's just as accurate with SMK Spitfires and Marksman Pointed pellets, but scatters anthing else far and wide (including other high quality (FX, JSB Exacts), mid quality (RWS Superfields, H&N FTT) and low quality (Marksman Domed, SMK) pellets).
Anybody else come across another gun that does this sort of thing? Must admit that now I know that it doesn't mind cheapy pellets, I might just shoot it more often! :lol: :lol:
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Re: Playing Pistols & Pellets

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:22 pm

As an 'addendum' here are links to scans of the targets that were shot (5 pellets at each).
These are the four types of pellet gave really good groupings in that pistol, but for the life of me, the results just are doing my head in, as there's nothing logical about it!
The four pellet types aren't made by the same people, the prices are at the opposite ends of the scale, so why are they performing so similarily?
The pellets in question are (each pellet type is linked to the target shot)
SMK Spitfires
Marksman Pointed
AA Field 4.51
Daystate Rangemaster Li

Has anybody come across a similar thing, either with the pellets mentioned, or with any other types (other than 'rebadged' ones, obviously), or can anybody give any credible reasons for such results that I've got???
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Return to Other airguns