Wildcat owners, voice your opinion, please

Bobcat, Wildcat, Impact, etc.

Wildcat owners, voice your opinion, please

Postby darryl on Sat Oct 10, 2015 12:39 am

I'm considering one, so I've come here to ask for impressions gained from owning the gun. Where did it meet and not meet your expectations? Any major fails? Anyone adjust power on these (as in the hammer spring tension)? Impressions of overall quality (I've been reading elsewhere that these are cheaply made)?
thank you for your input, and feedback,
Darryl
The mind is like a parachute; it's only useful if it's open
darryl

Re: Wildcat owners, voice your opinion, please

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 14, 2015 8:53 pm

Hi Darryl, I've also been considering one of these in the near future but all the right up's I've come across say they are awesome.....where did you read about them being cheaply made ? Ted from 'Ted's Holdover' recently issued a video showing both .22 and .25 and he loved them plus I've found his comments to be accurate when it comes to quality etc. The magazines in the UK have also raved about the Wildcat so this negative comment is the first I've come across and I'd be grateful if you could point me in the direction of same. Cheers Ian.
Ian

Postby darryl on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:05 pm

HI Ian,
See here for the source of the Wildcat quality issue I mentioned: http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/ind ... c=91928.40
First reported here with the above link: http://talonairgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=32571
People seem to think FX cut corners to keep the price so low, relative to it's other models. The FX Ranchero costs as much, so one has to wonder at cost-cutting measures, which is why I came here to inquire about the gun.

Thank you for taking the time to reply, Ian. I hope actual owners come on and give an account of their experiences.
darfryl
darryl

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:21 pm

Thanks for the links Darryl.....it's really made me think again about the Wildcat. I may well wait for the MK2 version as per the Bobcat.....clearly more research needed before parting with any cash. Cheers Ian.
Ian

Postby darryl on Mon Oct 19, 2015 9:52 pm

Cheers Ian
Darryl
darryl

Postby Ian on Wed Oct 21, 2015 9:28 pm

Hi Darryl, I've been on the 'Airgun Nation' Forum earlier today and typed in 'FX Wildcat Quality'......it came up with some interesting comments from owners and one from Ted. It's worth a look. Ian.
Ian

Postby darryl on Wed Oct 21, 2015 10:16 pm

Thanks Ian,
I'll give a look.
Darryl
darryl

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:19 pm

I picked up my Wildcat a few weeks ago. I drove to the range straight after and went ashootin'

- After about a tin of pellets the pin fell out of the cocking mechanism. This reminded me of the Royale 400 days as they had the same problem then. Why that hasn't been fixed, I don't know. Easy fix though, a drop of loctite.
- I couldn't get a decent grouping out of the gun either at 100 or at 50 yards. Eventually I returned the thing and it took a vacation to Sweden. The turnaround was about a week and I picked it back up last saturday. The grouping behaviour was a lot better, up to the point I'm happy with it. It does consume a lot of air though, I can maybe get 4 decent magazines out of it, after that it starts to drop off (100yds).
- Every once in a while I notice the cocking isn't as smooth and I even had the magazine eject out of its port on a few occasions. Very weird.

Anyway, from what I understand the factory:
- Repolished the barrel
- Assembled the gun from scratch
- Adjusted the regulator

Another thing I noticed about my gun is that it's susceptible to rust. On the barrel, indexing lever even the knob on the safety. Even the bolts under the cheekrest are rusting. That's the first gun that does this, and I treat and store them all the same. Weird. The gunstore I got it got rid of it and oiled the action (as do I now), but this shouldn't happen.

All in all my verdict is still out on this one. I'm going to do a chrony session soon, see what that gives. And then shoot some more.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Ian on Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:04 pm

H Polar Wolf, thanks for the comprehensive report....very useful. What calibre is it.....I'm guessing .22 from your other guns ???? If this is the case then is it an 8 shot magazine ....so it's around 32 shots before poi change ? That would seem a lot less than FX claim !! Any updates gratefully received. Thanks Ian.
Ian

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:31 pm

Ian wrote:H Polar Wolf, thanks for the comprehensive report....very useful. What calibre is it.....I'm guessing .22 from your other guns ???? If this is the case then is it an 8 shot magazine ....so it's around 32 shots before poi change ? That would seem a lot less than FX claim !! Any updates gratefully received. Thanks Ian.

It's a .25, actually :) But still 8 shots per magazine, so yeah, 32 decent shots. I have yet to test that on 50yds and across the chrony though.

On a positive note: The rifle is light and well balanced. The cocking action is usually smooth and the trigger is great. It's a bit fiddly to get behind the scope properly, but once installed it's fine. For a 65J .25 the rifle is very silent. The scope rail is nice, but I still don't get why it's not simply a picatinny style rail instead of 11mm. Maybe I should try my Steyr rail :)

I read some criticism on the magazine, but I think it's great. It's well thought out, simple and actually cheap(ish). Sure, it "only" holds just 8 pellets, but I don't mind. At least I can replace the magazine without even having to take my eyes off target. As said, the magazine did pop out of the slot on occasion. I haven't figured out that one yet but I suspect a not properly or unseated pellet which causes the rotation to stop and then the lever inside the action pushes the magazine out. I'll check that next time I'm on the range. The problem was a lot more prevalent with the overly expensive .25 FX "smooth twist" pellets though, those don't fit and stay in the magazine as well as the regular JSB (and don't perform as well either at 100yds).
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Next

Return to FX Bullpups