De-Tuning my Wildcat

Bobcat, Wildcat, Impact, etc.

De-Tuning my Wildcat

Postby mattlip on Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:43 pm

Evening Wildcat owners, I have a FAC Wildcat shooting 10.3 JSB at 900 fps which was requested by myself to FX to supply. I am not happy with the accuracy and have carried out ALL the tricks and adjustments to improve accuracy, but my barrel just does not like this pellet at this speed. So, I would like to de-tune it to shoot 8.44 JSB at the magic 860 fps. The question is, "What's the best/easiest way to do this without technicians tools"?
mattlip

Re: De-Tuning my Wildcat

Postby mattlip on Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:15 pm

NO ONE KNOWS!!??
mattlip

Postby Guipago on Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:54 am

To reduce the fps you could turn the hammer spring adjuster out a bit at a time till you get the fps your after, but it requires heating that area to break the Loctite used from the factory on the adjuster, it's a bit tricky as the allen key adjuster is prone to strip out the allen key area if forced, most guys have a spare on hand. Your post was a little confusing, if you have done "ALL the tricks & adjustments" changing hammer spring tension is part of the tuning process.
Guipago

Postby Pauly5 on Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:13 am

I don't know, but am certainly interested. I plan to buy one and will definitely tune it down at some stage.
If the hammer spring is difficult to adjust, what about putting a stronger valve spring in, or spacers to make it stiffer? This may be better for the shot count anyway, but i guess its a pain to keep adjusting.
Pauly5

Postby Guipago on Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:42 am

I put a cyclone hammer spring in my T12 & got less shot count because the air valve in the tank stays open longer, using more air, the other problem you can get is that the air charge won't be as efficient because the air channels in the action are too small for the volume of air passing thru it & causes a restriction.
You could put a spacer behind the spring, but then you can get the spring coil binding, which will prevent the trigger from setting, no free lunch's.
Sometimes it's better to stick with the fps that the pellet/barrel likes to get better accuracy than to go for the higher fps that everyone craves.
The later model Royal's, Wildcats etc are far better internally than the early mods & can get higher fps more efficiently, I wouldn't change their springs as the fps can then get too close to the sound barrier & pellets don't like it one bit :D
Guipago

Postby Pauly5 on Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:15 am

Then again, aren't they available in 12 fpe anyway? then you could tune it up.
Pauly5

Return to FX Bullpups