Verminator 2 releasing air down barrel

The new Gladiator and Verminator ("Mk2") models are based on the Royale/Elite action block, but are different enough to warrant their own section.

Verminator 2 releasing air down barrel

Postby bueller on Mon Jun 24, 2013 6:15 pm

Hi,

Has anyone had issues with their Verminator 2 releasing pressure down the barrel (no, not when you pull the trigger) :D

I shot the rifle with no issues on Friday, removed the air bottle and replaced everything in it's case, returned to it on Sunday, started to screw the bottle and it released all the air down the barrel until completely empty.

Any ideas???

Cheers

Neil
bueller

Re: Verminator 2 releasing air down barrel

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:24 pm

What happens when you cock the rifle before screwing on the bottle?

Try to fill the rifle (cocked as it is empty now), and see if it'll hold air.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby bueller on Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:08 pm

Thanks, I will try that as soon as I get back and let you know.
bueller

Postby bueller on Tue Jun 25, 2013 7:48 pm

Ok, I tried refilling with the rifle cocked, no difference, it just seems that there is a valve stuck open allowing air to bleed directly out of the barrel :cry:
bueller

Postby Zero4k on Tue Jun 25, 2013 9:40 pm

Hi Neil,

I had this on my Verminator, it's annoying but simple to rectify if you don't mind stripping the rifle. Cause is the hammer hitting the area surrounding the valve stem bore which slightly peens the metal tightening it against the valve stem, this stops it closing fully. I cured mine by using a good 5mm (0.19") drill bit carefully - i.e. very gently with virtually no pressure, by hand to relieve the outer edge of the hole. You are literally just removing a very small amount of metal so the hole has a very slight / almost imperceptible bevel to it - don't overdo this. Obviously make sure to remove any metal particles when done, I removed the valve seat and slid a cotton bud in from the air tube side then pushed it all the way through afterward then thoroughly cleaned everything before re-assembling the rifle.

Hope I've explained that OK...

Ian

Edit: I tried the same as PolarWolf suggested and this usually works, but as I use a manual pump it was impossible to get a quick blast of air to close the valve...
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby bueller on Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:34 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the reply and explanation, greatly appreciated.

I'm going to try again with a greater blast of air and re cocking the rifle, see if the extra pressure does the trick.

I'm not adverse to stripping the rifle and doing the mod but am a little unsettled that I should need to do this to a rifle that has only fired 500 pellets and is only 2 months old, is this a known problem ? A design fault?
As its under warranty (something I didn't mention) I may send it back, the dealer was very helpful when I purchased it.

Cheers

Neil
bueller

Postby Zero4k on Wed Jun 26, 2013 12:01 pm

Hi Neil,

I don't think it's a design fault as such, I've never had this on my Royale 400 which is pretty much the same action but without the power adjuster wheel, and this rifle has shot many pellets and has been filled lots times without issue. I do recall the dealer dry firing the Verminator a few times in the store when I picked it up - some even do this to springers, it's generally advised to not dry fire these actions according to JohnnySweden and he knows FX products very well.

Mine was a couple of months old when I stripped it, likely invalidated the warranty but as I've always done my own servicing etc I wasn't too bothered, for me it was quicker to do it myself rather than take it to the dealer who would inevitably dry fire it again when he got it back from the uk importer ASI....

Having said that, I agree you shouldn't have to do remedial work yourself on a new air rifle and as your dealer is the helpful sort it may be an idea to take it back to him.

Hope you get it sorted quickly because they are superb shooters - and get even better after a few of tins of pellets!!

ATB, Ian
Zero4k

Postby bueller on Wed Jun 26, 2013 7:25 pm

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the further advice, its good to learn more about the rifle. Thankfully I bought it from a local dealer who was very helpful to begin with and has taken it under his wing to get it sorted ASAP. If he hadn't been so helpful or maybe further away I would have stripped it down myself to find the issue, maybe when the warranty has expired I will take it on and make a few mods along the way.

I will keep you updated on the findings and hopefully get stuck into the 2000 pellets that I bought last weekend.

Cheers

Neil
bueller

Postby bueller on Mon Jul 22, 2013 7:09 pm

So after 2 weeks without the rifle I get the call that its back, unfortunately I was working abroad so couldn't collect it myself from the shop, got it picked up and then took it out to a friends private range when I returned on Saturday.

Opened the case, no work sheet detailing the fault or the repair, just a card stating it had been repaired under warranty :(

Removed the rifle body and the cylinder, started to screw the bottle into the body and .............................................

Pssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss :roll:
bueller

Postby Zero4k on Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:09 pm

Late reply - That's a major PITA, I think you need the solution I posted above, it's what I'd do but it's probably not an officially recognized repair ;)

Hope you get it sorted Neil...
Zero4k

Next

Return to FX Gladiator/Verminator Mk2