FX Verminator Mk2 0.177" 12ft lbs

The new Gladiator and Verminator ("Mk2") models are based on the Royale/Elite action block, but are different enough to warrant their own section.

FX Verminator Mk2 0.177" 12ft lbs

Postby FGYT on Thu Sep 06, 2012 10:26 am

Well ive finally after waiting a week for next day delivery of waiting got my first new Rifle in many years to get back into shooting

However wasnt pleaseed to be informed prices had gone up 1st Aug by nearly 20% so its now nearly £1100 :o

Got it home and managed to put my old FT scope on and fit a Harris bi-pod
ive only put a couple of mags tho it and ruff zeroed on a bit of wood but its definetly accurate for grouping :D

ive also got the FX extra Silencer which at £48 is a bit of a disappointment :( as its just a empty tube with a thread on one end and a small hole in the other and think it would benefit from some baffles and sound absorbing matting it does make it quieter but not close to as much as it should :ugeek: If i had known i would have just had a custom one made

>>>>CAD drawing of Silencer tube By me on PDF <<<<

mounting the scope is fun due to the Height of the mag its position and the height of the Cheek piece

My sports match 30mm high mounts have 21mm clearance and do just fit fine with the mag HOWEVER there is no way i can get my eye to the scope as the Cheek piece is to low and wide Sports match Medium mounts with a Riser block help a little but still not close enough

Finally High mounts with the Risers giving 34mm of clearance and the butt slide back more and we are just about ok but cant quite manage a full head up

thats ok i like a high Scope LOS to barrel center (now 2.34") as it helps flatten the trajectory at longer ranges jsut have to be a bit more careful at close ones

As you can see its not going to fit back in the briefcase :lol: then again its not exactly a small case and I dont intend to take the cylinder off it drops nicely in my Axsor custom Gun gear bag if I take the smartie tube (sorry silencer) off

the mag being in the middle of the rail is going to make mounting my NV scope a PITA the old FX 2000 the mag was much further fwds

Harris was simple enough just drilled a 4mm hole and screwed in a Wood thread sling stud tho if i was going to leave it ( im putting a picatinney rail on later ) i would replace it with a nut and bolt one with a nut and washer ( the synthetic stock material has a little give I think may putt out the thread so i think a big washer on the inside where the second air tube would go if it had one is a good idea
tho FX if you want o help you could look at moulding in some Big head fittings I used to use these a lot molding Solid surface.

so far its nice feels good and will update here after Ive had a more serious shoot

DIY NV set up ive bought (pre made) and Sellotaped on for now

Hopefully the Picatinny rails will arrive soon now i just need to work out how to get the stock off so I can fit them
and a couple of bits to fit on them
also a pouch to fit to the cheek piece for the NV battery

For info these are the targets Ive used for years designed and Drawn on MY CAD

All aim points are

1/8" white center 1/4" black donut
1/2" dia line
3/4" -1" Black donut (Hunting min grouping)
35mm Dia line
40mm Dia line ( FT std kill zone)
2" Dia line

Grid is 1/2" lines

12 target practice pdf for general practice when set up hold over/under to dial to hit center for what ever range

1 Target inital Zero pdf to set up a new scope/ pellet aim center at zero range and dial in to zero

2 target trajectory checker pdf to shoot the trajectory always aim cross hair at center Do not hold off or dial shoot 1 target per 5yrds to check fall (yes i know you have ballistics programs these days but this is how I did it before an I like to check it also gives you a group size per range which is useful as well)

All in all I like whats happened ot FX guns in the last decade :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ATB
for now
Duncan
Dorset Woodland Blades:- I See You've Played Knifey Spoony Before
FGYT

Re: FX Verminator Mk2 0.177" 12ft lbs

Postby FGYT on Thu Sep 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Well ive just finished 1 tin of JSB exacts Which have been interesting Im still not fully sure if im getting better grouping by single loading direct than from the magazine as im rejecting 1-2 per 20 ish pellets with bent skirts out of the tin and they do seem to have a lot of bits the silencer s coated inside now

I But it seems to do nice groups at 25 yrds then starts fliers for a bit then fine again will put a few cleaning pellets thro and start a proper grouping as the barrel/ action should now be settled

one thing I was surprised at and as I haven't done a full trajectory shoot yet I stepped back to 50yrds today jsut to see and it did seem to be a lot flatter than my previous 177 set ups but grouping wasn't the best

Is you can see here ( AT 50 x mag) I zero the top thick post at 25 yrds 40yrds is the long zero point and 50 yrds drops in at 3.5 dots down ( this was with AA Field 4.52 8.4gr )

However Ive zeroed the 25yrd as normal ( for me) and the 50 yrd shots today are only 1 Dot down ( but larger than I would like group and a few fliers )

that's massively flatter now the scope is a little higher and its said the Smooth twist is supposed give a better BC so maybe the combination has lifted and flattened the close shots will be more spaced if that's true.

2.5 dots down was hitting crab apples out of my tree at 60-65 yrds ish
and jsut messing about its easily hits anything from cutting nettle stems to small stones at 30yrds and under

So i really really want to do a full trajectory shoot and get a plot with group size

50mag

hopefully a few more bits will arrive tomorrow and now i've worked out how to get he stock off I can fit them

also want to get my Combro working tho its probably a flat battery its been in the shooting box best part of a decade now

ATB

Duncan
FGYT

Postby JohnnySweden on Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:53 am

The "empty" extension to the shroud is designed that way to stay legal in most markets, in the UK its no good idea since a normal moderator is legal there - and a better choice.

A pricetag of £1100 is just nuts !! :o

The reason is that AGI imports them and crank up the price.

A better idea is to import them straight from Sweden instead, here they are £750 + £25 (P & P) and you wont get any AT either.... ;)
My airgun blog: http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

.25 FX Airguns Elite 500 Mk I - Bushnell Legend 5-15/40 Ao
.177 Crosman Challenger - Leupold 3-9/33 EFR
.22 BSA Ultra Mk I - Tasco Varmint I 2.5-10/42 Ao
JohnnySweden

Postby FGYT on Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:32 pm

JohnnySweden wrote:The "empty" extension to the shroud is designed that way to stay legal in most markets, in the UK its no good idea since a normal moderator is legal there - and a better choice.

A pricetag of £1100 is just nuts !! :o

The reason is that AGI imports them and crank up the price.

A better idea is to import them straight from Sweden instead, here they are £750 + £25 (P & P) and you wont get any AT either.... ;)

Is a little steep

when i spoke to ASI it was because they had a price rise from FX but not across the board it was £930 ish before

£750 (which is what the AA TDR is ) ia good price not sure if i could import it direct as UK law is Face to FACE thro a RFD for new Airguns now . I doubt FX would supply my RFD direct as it cuts off ASI who will have the deal .

ATB

Duncan
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Very interesting post Duncan, thank you for sharing your targets too :D, they are well produced and will be very useful. I too prefer higher mounts for less holdover past zero range.

I was enjoyed seeing your CAD drawing and stripped down shroud extension. I think the confusion regarding this item is that in the uk we are used to silencers or moderators but FX called this a shroud extension so it's a different beast. ASI can post one for £45.00 inc VAT and shipping so it's not classed as a silencer / moderator requiring this silly face to face business we have. I think you could improve it with shaped baffles and possibly some sound absorbing material so it might not be a lost cause altogether ;)

Whilst searching for silencers etc the other week I found an image showing the Hugget for the Verminator, it looks like a nice piece of kit, I know some people have had good results with the standard 1/2" UNF threaded version so it would be interesting to find out how good these are:

Now pricing is another subject altogether, I find the amount you got charged quite unbelievable - I had to double check to make sure I hadn't misread it :shock:. In fact it has prompted me to start another topic rather than detract from or go off topic on this one. I might quote from this post though :)

Regards,
Ian
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby FGYT on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:39 pm

Ok after a massive Ebay and online shopping bender ive got all the bits I wanted to sort the rifle to how I want

Basically I wanted to change the for stock to fit me and found the Magpul AFG2 which looked like it might save me bodging some blocks of plywood
First was to fit a 6" picatinny Rail on the bottom this would give some options on what and where to fit things
it also meant that the Harris bi-pod i had wouldn't fit and if i got the adapter it was to long for the remaining rail . Plus i wanted to fit the Lamping kit (my old surefire P6 with Remote ) here as i dont like them on top of the scope
I saw a side mount job that would mean also the bipod can be folded up and out of the way and was going to fit front side Picatinny rails for this but after finding a reasonably cheap on on ebay (i suspect is a copy but solid enough )
when it got here i founf i could ubbolt the lugs and screw them directly to the stock which is a lot neater and saves a bit of weight

Also i fitted my old LSW Butt plate with the over shoulder folding rest which is great for Bipod shooting and for rear heavy guns like this

Forthe NV battery ive used a std Maxpedition 6x4 x 1.5" pouch its more than big enough cna can hold the mag and pellets etc when not being used so they dont get lost

Close up of the Rail AFG and Lugs the rail Ive fitted parallel to the barrel so the lamp points where you aim

the bi-pod legs just click on and off easily and can be stow front or back

Fully fitted

the AFG grip is actually very good giving positive stops for Kneeling and sitting as well as for me a more comfortable hold for standing

just waiting on a replacement Infra Red drop in for the torch as it will mainly be used with the NV kit above

ATB

Duncan
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:10 pm

In a word - SUPERB, I really like what you have done 8-)

The side mounted bipod is impressive and practical, it looks like it's made for the rifle - what make is it Duncan?

That's got to be the meanest, most tactical looking Verminator I have seen yet :D
Zero4k

Postby JohnnySweden on Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:49 pm

:shock:

That is indeed the best looking V2 I have ever seen.....nice work there.....
My airgun blog: http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

.25 FX Airguns Elite 500 Mk I - Bushnell Legend 5-15/40 Ao
.177 Crosman Challenger - Leupold 3-9/33 EFR
.22 BSA Ultra Mk I - Tasco Varmint I 2.5-10/42 Ao
JohnnySweden

Postby FGYT on Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:50 pm

Well the Bipod is as far as i can work out a very good copy of this

http://store.commandarms.com/categories/Bipods/

ia say copy as its only £64 for long and short legs and the bottom rail and side mount lugs

from Ebay

I took the lugs off the side mount s and just drilled and screwed them to the stock at the correct angle of swing needs 3 holes as there are 2 locating pins 4mm and a center 5mm hole for the bolt

this and the picatinny rail would be easily be a std bolt on if FX moulded into the stock a set of threaded inserts as std ;) not difficult to do (used to do allot of them when i was working as we has a solid surface molding shop as well as the engineering machine shop etc etc )
FGYT

Postby Zero4k on Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:26 pm

I don't think there's anything wrong with a copy on an item like this, I've looked at them on Ebay following your link and they look like they represent good value for money.

Just been looking at your pics again, you've done a very neat job of mounting them, I've made a note of them here for when I get myself sorted out :)
Zero4k

Next

Return to FX Gladiator/Verminator Mk2