Pest control.

At request of many (*cough*), a hunting and pest control section. Please keep the gory pictures to a minimum, but if you must, please add a *GRAPHIC* tag to your post title.

Moderator: FXpoacher

Pest control.

Postby FXpoacher on Fri May 30, 2008 7:17 pm

Hunting with an air rifle is not allowed in all countries, so control local laws first!

Gotta do something about that cough mate! :lol: :lol:

I got into air rifle hunting by accident.
I was working as a farm hand in Cambrdgeshire, England.
It was a ecological farm, with a massive rabbit population.
This came around as the land had been left unworked for 5yrs to recover after intensive potato farming.
The farmer was so fed up with the loss of crops, that he paid me in beer and veggies to take on the challange! :D
And i kid you not, if i only got 15 rabbits in a night, it was a bad night!

My first rifle was a BSA Mercury .177, which i hunted with once. A headshot on a rabbit at only 15mtrs, perfectly placed,
But went straight through the skull. After 1/2 an hour i managed to catch the wounded rabbit and put it out of it's misery.
And if this has happened to anyone else, you will know how bad it makes you feel.
The next day the rifle was sold and a .22 BSA Supersport replaced it.
I've never had that problem again. So personaly .22 is the only hunting caliber for me.

Pest control is not about the erradication of a pest species.
All animals and insects directly and indirectly have an influence on mankinds survival.
I heard a "factoid" on the radio that said if half the planets insects dissapeared, we would be gone within 5 yrs! :o

Pest control should be carried out on a regular basis, in order to have any real effect.
If you want to be posh, you can call it culling.
Generally what you are doing is keeping the balance of species in check,
so as to give the species that we put pressure on through farming/building a better chance.
Food is limited out there, so once they eat that , they move on in search for more.
This can be a farmers crops, or your grandmothers flowers!.

Next time you go past a field , that is newly planted, you will see areas that are just bare earth.
9 times out of 10, this is caused by wood pigeons.
These can be taken with a 16joules air rifle with ease within a range of 30-45mtrs.
With a 16joules rifle, a headshot is the only realy viable shot.
With a FAC rifle, (Especialy in the "Man's" caliber .22!) a chestshot is viable.
At this point i have too say that, personaly, i dont believe that a .177 is a good caliber to hunt with unless, you are 100%
sure that you can take a directly fatal shot.
The beuty with a .22, is that it is slightly more forgiving than .177.
A head shot taken with a .177 on a pigeon can be effective if you manage to place the pellet in the brain.
Pigeons brains are no bigger than a pea!.
So when i can shoot peas of a fence at 50mtrs, then and only then would i consider hunting with a .22! .
FXpoacher

Re: Pest control.

Postby Whisper on Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:57 pm

I agree with what you say, but where I hunt I can never get close enough to use a .22 at the pig farms where I shoot. so .177 in better for me @45yrs+. ;)

Crows dont seen to like low neck shots much with Field target trophys pellets much, placment is very important with 177 or you will get injured animals :evil:
Whisper

Postby FXpoacher on Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:30 am

With a .177, you should be taking head shots. But at close range with hollow points, chest shot's could work, but definatly not at more than 20mtrs.
FXpoacher

Postby Osok on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:03 am

Most important is good judgment! If you are not sure that you can kill, don't shoot!!!

I hunt big game and I have learned one very important thing and that is waiting for a good shot, actually does pay off. DO NOT shoot around like a idiot. It's better to wait for a good shot than wounding an animal. If you do wound an animal it is you're obligation to keep on searching until you find it. No matter what! This is not a matter of discussion, it's an obligation!

As long as the game does not you are there they will stay. So there is absolutely no point in taking quick and unsure shots!
- T-12 .22 FAC with MTC Viper 6-24x56.
- Tikka M55 in .308 with Swarovski Z6i 2-12x50.
- Tikka T3 Varmin in .243 with MTC Viper 6-24x56.
- 15.000 Ha of 1st class hunting land.
Osok

Postby FXpoacher on Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:36 am

I read somewhere that you should feel just as happy about the shot's you don't take as the one's you do.
I cant think of a better way of putting it myself!
FXpoacher

Return to Hunting & Pest Control