Big, silly grin

At request of many (*cough*), a hunting and pest control section. Please keep the gory pictures to a minimum, but if you must, please add a *GRAPHIC* tag to your post title.

Moderator: FXpoacher

Big, silly grin

Postby Solo1 on Wed Nov 11, 2009 5:42 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to have had permission to shoot over land totalling some 20,000 acres over the last forty years or so.

I’ve used centrefire rifles in .243, .222, .223 and .22 Hornet, and rimfire rifles in .17 HMR, .22 WMR and .22 LR. I also shoot a variety of shotguns in various configurations. Prior to 1981 I even used to hunt very successfully with a compound bow.

Over the years I‘ve shot virtually every legal species in the UK, from wildfowl to deer, but I can honestly say that I would swap it all to go out with my Logun Solo. I am never happier than when I am out and about with a good air rifle after squirrels, rabbits and especially rats. Last year my total for pest species with the Logun was 639, made up primarily of rabbits, rooks, rats, pigeons and squirrels.

When I’m out with an air rifle I can’t help but have a big silly grin on my face. There’s just something about an air rifle that really makes me smile. It’s like being a big kid again. They’ve fascinated me since my favourite uncle (ex-army) taught me to shoot an old smoothbore Diana, aged 5.

I think it’s the need to be close to the quarry that makes it so much fun. I’ve shot a few foxes at well over 400 yards with centrefire rifles but that never gives me the same pleasure I get from lining up the crosshairs on a rat’s head late in the evening or after dark with NV on the rifle.

Until the last couple of years I always had ‘springers’ - my favourite being the Weihrauch HW80, purely because of the quality of manufacture. Since buying my .22 Logun Solo two years ago I’ve enjoyed my air rifle shooting even more than I ever did. It’s light, well balanced, gives 100 shots per fill and will put pellet on pellet at 35 metres all day long. I don’t shoot targets apart from casual practice but the accuracy certainly pays dividends when you’re hunting. I just hope I can get a few more years in before the grim reaper makes me pay for all my past sins.
Solo1

Re: Big, silly grin

Postby StefCo on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:37 pm

...tells everything.airgun hunting is may be not the only but a good reason to live.
StefCo

Re: Big, silly grin

Postby waelo on Thu Jul 11, 2013 7:35 pm

You can't live without air! ;)
waelo

Return to Hunting & Pest Control