Do it yourself Depingers

A place to share your tips and tricks for modifying your FX Airgun.

Do it yourself Depingers

Postby mamcrackin on Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:08 pm

What a great mod to have...I hate the way a PCP sounds when it is fired without a depinger. Until now, you had to buy one from one of the guys that have a lathe that can turn a piece of delrin with an oring groove...WELL, NO MORE PEEPS....I got this idea this morning...I have some 1 1/4" ID Vinyl hose that I got from Home Depot....I cut off a piece about 2" long and slit it long ways...I then roll it into a smaller cylinder shape and cram it into the air tube about half way in....It worked better than the Depinger that I just paid $25.00 for....It provides so much more surface area inside against the air tube to dampen the ring/ping...The ping is absolutely gone...Not even a hint of the ping any more...I have goose bumps I am so excited about this mod....It appears that the FX tubes are larger than the BSA tubes so, you could use a larger piece of tubing on your FX guns....Maybe 1 1/2"-1 3/4" tubing....As long as you can roll it tight enough to get it into the tube...The 1 1/4" is working perfect on my Cyclone....
BSA Super Ten MkII .22
FX Cyclone .22
Beeman Falcon R .22
AirForce Condor .22 Airhog 2,200psi regulated
Mac1 US FT .22
Theoben Rapid .22 in transit...
Edgun .22 in transit
mamcrackin

Re: Do it yourself Depingers

Postby ian johnstone on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Damn good idea, that man !!! :)
In fact, I've always been concerned with the 'standard' de-pingers moving in the tube & eventually impeding the tube outlet valve (maybe :| ) your design would not hamper the valve in any way...good thinking ;)

(also looks like you have the same mob...CELL phone as me (motorolaZ summat)
ian johnstone

Postby mamcrackin on Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:35 pm

ian johnstone wrote:Damn good idea, that man !!! :)
In fact, I've always been concerned with the 'standard' de-pingers moving in the tube & eventually impeding the tube outlet valve (maybe :| ) your design would not hamper the valve in any way...good thinking ;)

(also looks like you have the same mob...CELL phone as me (motorolaZ summat)

I had installed my depinger in the middle of the tube and when I opened the tube to replace it with this mod, it was all the
way up against the end of the air tube towards the breech....
Yep moto Razr
BSA Super Ten MkII .22
FX Cyclone .22
Beeman Falcon R .22
Mac1 US FT .22
Edgun .22 in transit
mamcrackin

Postby ian johnstone on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:20 pm

Oh yeah, Razr :lol:
My only suggestion would be to make the 'slice' at an acute(ish) angle - that should mean that the 'unit' will not move.

I would imagine that a position between 1/4 & 1/3 of the depth of the tube from the breech end would be the best position (basic harmonics) but I've yet to try one so....
8-)
ian johnstone

Postby mamcrackin on Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:26 pm

ian johnstone wrote:Oh yeah, Razr :lol:
My only suggestion would be to make the 'slice' at an acute(ish) angle - that should mean that the 'unit' will not move.

I would imagine that a position between 1/4 & 1/3 of the depth of the tube from the breech end would be the best position (basic harmonics) but I've yet to try one so....
8-)

I am thinking that it should stay where it is place due to the high surface area contacting the tube and the low profile of the tubing. The depingers have very little contact with the tube....I have it approx. 1/2 way in and it is silent....Same result in the BSA Sportsman....
BSA Super Ten MkII .22
FX Cyclone .22
Beeman Falcon R .22
Mac1 US FT .22
Edgun .22 in transit
mamcrackin

Postby rob dangereux on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:01 am

hi, i have a logun solo in the 177 variety, and it also twangs louder than the sound from the silencer. this might sound like a stupid comment, but how do i put the plastic piece in the air chamber? i presume it does go in the air chamber!, as er indoors would kill me if i wrecked what to her is an expensive toy.
rob dangereux

Postby mamcrackin on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:06 am

rob dangereux wrote:hi, i have a logun solo in the 177 variety, and it also twangs louder than the sound from the silencer. this might sound like a stupid comment, but how do i put the plastic piece in the air chamber? i presume it does go in the air chamber!, as er indoors would kill me if i wrecked what to her is an expensive toy.

On our guns it goes in the air chamber/air tube....We can unscrew the end of
the tube and slide it right inside...I put mine about half the distance into the
tube.....Please make sure you shoot out or bleed off all of the pressure in the chamber
before you try working on it.....
I have looked at the Logun on the internet and it seems that the barrel band is
the same as the Cyclone..You should be able to unscrew the one screw that
attaches the barrel band to the mount that is on the front of the tube, then
unscrew the end cap on the tube and place the piece of hose inside....
BSA Super Ten MkII .22
FX Cyclone .22
Beeman Falcon R .22
Mac1 US FT .22
Edgun .22 in transit
mamcrackin

Postby rob dangereux on Sat Oct 17, 2009 1:32 am

cheers for that will give it a go!!
rob dangereux

Postby ian johnstone on Sat Oct 17, 2009 9:15 am

As mamcrackin says do be careful to fully empty the cylinder first (repeated dry firing is the safest method). Then release the barrel band & using a covered screwdriver or similar unscrew the fill port cap.
(I use a small screwdriver with a rubber sleeve around it as I dont want to damage the fill port).
ian johnstone

Postby fxt12 on Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:59 pm

Anyone got a Before and After video? that would be great
fxt12

Next

Return to Tips, Tricks and Tuning