best oil for walnut stock

A place to share your tips and tricks for modifying your FX Airgun.

best oil for walnut stock

Postby cyclone sniper on Sat Aug 18, 2012 2:57 pm

just wondering if any one can tell me the name/brand type of oil used on the FX walnut stocks ??? thanks
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Re: best oil for walnut stock

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 19, 2012 8:55 am

Trade secret rapid oil was recommended to me by PAPA on here and I'm very pleased with the results, check out the results I had here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1322&start=10
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby cyclone sniper on Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:39 pm

hi thanks for the link... im now stuck between trade secret oil and the birchwood casey tru oil
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Postby Zero4k on Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:58 pm

Did you make a decision in the end? :)
Zero4k

Postby cyclone sniper on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:06 pm

cant make my mind up on this one maybe i wont go with the tru oil .. have had another look on the net and tru oil seems to leave a very varnished glossy like finish .. so maybe i will take a chance on the trade secret oil as its a more satin finish ........... has anyone on here used the tru oil on there walnut stocks i would be very grateful for any more info or pics etc
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Postby cyclone sniper on Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:12 am

going to go with the trade secret oil .. any tips on the best way to apply ??
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Postby Zero4k on Wed Sep 26, 2012 12:29 am

I missed your post buddy....

I did as PAPA advised viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1322&start=10 (with pics), cleaned with a slightly damp cloth first and let it dry overnight. Then I applied a small amount of the oil by hand by tipping the bottle and getting some on the end of a finger, lightly spread it on the wood and then tok the palm of my hand and rubbed it. Add oil as needed but you won't need a lot to cover the whole stock - everyone recommends avoiding the chequering as much as possible. I left mine standing on the butt end and left it for an hour then went back and checked for any oil on the surface and rubbed that in again. Let it dry completely before applying more oil, keep going until you get the finish you want. If you want a glossy coat keep applying the oil as above. I put 4 coats on in total over 2 days. If you prefer the satin look, get some 0000 grade wire wool from Ebay and VERY gently / lightly go over the stock with it again avoiding the chequering, this will leave a nice satin smooth finish that is well protected.
Zero4k

Postby cyclone sniper on Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:16 pm

hi no prob ... thanks for the advice .. so its best to avoid the chequering great tip... im waiting on my t h walnut stock should be here next week .. i got tired waiting for my fx main dealer here to order one in for me .. been waiting over 3 months , so i had a friend order one by credit card from BAR blackpool airrifles yesterday .. they said i was the fifth person to order one in the last few weeks...
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Return to Tips, Tricks and Tuning