Opticaly centering.

A place to share your tips and tricks for modifying your FX Airgun.

Opticaly centering.

Postby FXpoacher on Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:16 pm

Had my T12 apart to remove 6( :o ) pellets from the barrel that my brother had cleverly loaded at once!! :twisted:
When i refitted the scope after, the zero was way off.
So i bit the bullet and decided to opticaly center the scope.
Refitted it and it was about 10cms to the right at just 10mtrs!
So i made shims from a beer can to put between the mount and block.
Anyway to cut a long story short, with a shim under the the back of the scope as well, i now have zero without making any adjustment to the windage screws at all, leaving all that play to.....errr.....play with if i need it! :D
Takes a fair bit of time, but with the storm we had yesterday, i could'nt go out anyway!
FXpoacher

Re: Opticaly centering.

Postby ian johnstone on Tue Aug 05, 2008 11:05 pm

Richard, I know where you've been with this one (damn annoying) but what's done, is done :|
I've read & tried the full & proper technique (a complete PITA) & now just do the Click Centring method. (before mounting the scope, count the clicks 'stop to stop' for each turret then divide by 2) - then try to ensure all your mount systems keep those settings as near to 'Centre' as possible for your POI. I've never 'got on' with adjustable mounts though :o
ian johnstone

Postby FXpoacher on Wed Aug 06, 2008 8:52 am

Richard, I know where you've been with this one (damn annoying) but what's done, is done :?
Who's richard?

Anyway i made a stand out of 2 bit's 6x150x80mm plywood and and a 100x100x150mm lump of pine.
I put the 2 plywood bits on top of each other and on the short end cut out a "V".
These i fixed too each end of the pine lump.

The scope was rested in the "V's" and turned round while looking through the scope at a point 10mtrs away.
The windage screws were adjusted untill i could turn the scope and the cross hair center stayed on the point i was focused on.

The screwing in and out way i had tryed before, and i put a mark ont the threads so i knew what was center.
Thing is, now i know it is centered and the original marks are way off! :shock:
Mayby i never did it right the first time, but now i'm a lot hapier as i know for sure now that it is dead center now.
FXpoacher

Postby ian johnstone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 1:37 pm

Whoops - I was also answering a thread on another forum FXPoacher :D .

That was the way I was told to optically centre a scope but I found that method highly tedious :o .
I've a Falcon scope that has so much Windage adjustment that you can see the edge of the lens on its furthest clicks (spoke to Falcon about it & they said it was a deliberate design decision). Apart from not wanting to be looking through the edges of the adjustable lenses I'm told that the Turrets/Click Adjusters themselves are at their most accurate & least 'stressed' when centred. Ideally one keeps the scope at its optical centre & either shim to POI or buy some adjustable mounts - again I take the quick fix solution (& shim mostly) then I use a proper Boresighter on a regular basis.
ian johnstone

Postby FXpoacher on Wed Aug 06, 2008 2:11 pm

Are those bore sighters worth the money?.
Looks the bees knees, but they only work out to the point before the pellet starts to drop dont they?
FXpoacher

Postby ian johnstone on Wed Aug 06, 2008 6:14 pm

Well I paid £35 for my s/hand one (the first one) & also bought a BSA set (Winter Sale Bonanza :D ).
I'm talking about the old fashioned Collimator (not Laser) and they usually come with inserts for calibres .17 (not actually.177) upwards to 30-06.

What you actually see is a very fine grid of 200 squares plus a standard crosshair which is generally meant to represent POI at 100yards (22LR) but that doesn't actually matter because each Gun/Scope will show a subtle diff. (On most of my scopes 4 clicks are required to traverse each square). I just approx the scope using the Boresighter (usually just 3.5 squares down) then fine tune on targets, after a day or two of feeling 'happy/confident' with the Zeroing I use the Boresighter again this time making a note of the exact position (for that combo). After that I recheck (at home, in the kitchen) on a monthly basis - all this because I once owned a Hawke Scope :o (might have been a one-off). If you've ever owned a scope that loses Zero, you'll never be really confident again !
ian johnstone

Postby gunvider on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:44 am

FX2000 .177 FAC
gunvider

Postby TitaniumRx on Mon May 09, 2011 5:21 pm

I try this method and its work just fine and quick.Very simple. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-A3GwfB0 ... re=related
For practical reasons you can use a little mirror without unmount your scope.
Thinks you must dont forget : Set the power of scope to its minimum scale and the parralax to infinity.Best results is with a lot of light upon the scope.
TitaniumRx

Return to Tips, Tricks and Tuning