Weighing fatigues

FX Airguns also has its own branded pellets. Aside from these, please share your experiences with which pellets work best in your FX airgun here!

Weighing fatigues

Postby Zero4k on Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:12 pm

Did some pellet weighing today, weather was very gusty with occasional rain showers - no good for shooting. I was interested in seeing the weight variation of a few pellet brands. I picked a random 100 of each for good measure. I rounded the weights down so if for example a pellet weighed 14.58gr I put that down as 14.5 which is what you'd see on a set of scales that used one decimal place.

The HE's really surprised me for their consistent weight, I even rechecked the scales a few times! The most variation came from the Bisley's....
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: Weighing fatigues

Postby Zero4k on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:02 pm

A couple more, only had 50 of each pellet as they are sample packs

So much for advertised weights then :?............
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero4k

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Aug 29, 2011 12:25 pm

That's why they print "nominal weight" on the tins ;)

More interesting would be the actual average weight *and* the standard deviation. Not just the weight the manufacturer claims it should be :) But that'd acually require QC to weigh a sample of pellets from each production batch.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:11 pm

Thank you for the link :D, and yes, there will always be a difference between nominal (or stated) and exact / actual, I don't expect every pellet in a tin to be exactly the same weight. It isn't the fact there is a difference but the amount of difference that surprised me (remind me never to buy any vernier calipers :oops:). None of my tins have nominal printed on them but I expect it's stated somewhere on the manufacturers web sites. I'm sure they check occasionally to see if their products are within certain limits but as you say, it would be very interesting to see average and deviation figures....

A .3gr difference is very good for mass production but when you get to .5 and .6 it does make me wonder if they could be batched, but that of course would cost and we pay highly in the uk for pellets already. It's not a major issue because I can do it myself, I'll weigh and divide each tin into two weight ranges so I have the smallest deviation without going to extremes, probably won't make a huge difference but I reckon a small gain would be had in constancy.
Zero4k

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:27 pm

I weight (and lube) my pellets for HFT matches, for the rest I shoot straight from the tin. Works fine for most purposes.

Indeed, the weigh distribution is quite substantial at times. Something I wondered is whether the deviation is larger when the pellets come from a large manufacturer with a lot of presses (i.e. products from different molds get mixed in the tins) versus a small shop with only one pellet press. I'd wager the latter would produce much more consistent results. Ergo, find a good pellet from a small manufacturer so you can pretty much rely on a narrow and repeatable weight distribution in seperate tins. Nice theory, eh? Now, who's willing to test? :)
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:37 pm

I've never lubed pellets since I had a gummed up BSA mag many years ago, but I guess if you are using single shots without a mag it would make a noticeable difference to your HFT results.

I believe you are right about larger manufacturers, as far as I know it was only Crosman who batched their pellets by die number hence less variation in weight in a box of 625, not sure about the later tinned versions as I understand they no longer do batch numbers. I'll have to grab a few boxes of number 7 die before they run out as I haven't tried those yet, mine are from January 19, 1991 - die number 1, they don't give the best power due to their weight / size but they are very accurate.

I'd be more than happy to try some pellets from a small manufacturer if I could find one, I'd like similar to FX / JSB domed 5.52 with two weight options 15gr and 16gr - precisely ;)
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:44 pm

Just finished a mini marathon weighing session, 1.5 tins of Rangemaster Li's, now got 14.00 to 14.38 in one tin and 14.40 to 14.66 in the other - that will do for today I reckon... Might have a go at the Bisleys another day but I'm not expecting much accuracy from them, they will be general plinking pellets at best.
Zero4k

Postby adamk on Mon Aug 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Disregarding weight,which do you find most accurate? I've not yet beaten air arms field in mine, closely followed by crosman accupell but I'm open to suggestions
adamk

Postby Zero4k on Mon Aug 29, 2011 7:20 pm

Without a doubt the Crosman Premiers I bought years ago give the tightest groups so far at 30 yards but they don't give the highest power being lighter of course, they seem to fit the barrel well judging by the rifling marks I photographed.

I had a free tin of AA Fields in 5.51 when I bought the Royale and I wasn't that impressed to be honest, but shortly after joining this forum I was advised that 5.52 was the best size for FX rifles so in fairness to the AA's I had the wrong pellet size and the results weren't really a true indication of their capabilities. I intend getting a couple of sample packs in the right size so I would imagine the results will be much better.

The next most accurate / tightest groups are from the FX / JSB Exacts in 5.52 - again at 30 yards. I have recently performed a couple of modifications to the magazines, so more grouping tests are on the way - when this damn wind dies down :). When I've narrowed things right down to a couple of brands I'll take them down to the club range and see what they are like over better distances.
Zero4k

Postby adamk on Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Can't comment on .22 aa for the fx being a .177er but used to get great results in my old springer with 5.52s
adamk

Next

Return to Pellets