Daystate Rangemasters

FX Airguns also has its own branded pellets. Aside from these, please share your experiences with which pellets work best in your FX airgun here!

Re: Daystate Rangemasters

Postby Graeme on Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:06 pm

23 fps spread might appear to be a lot comparatively.. but its not.. Not really.. Try putting a .22 rimfire over and see for yourself

As for only 7fps thats fantastic 8-) Just need an excuse to save up and buy one now.
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:54 am

Yeah well it just seems a lot to me, that low one (funnily enough shot 13 - ring a bell?) didn't help the average. Maybe I'm just getting too fussy these days but I like to be confident that my shots will go where I want them to, a couple of bad pellets can make the difference between a hit or miss, and worse if you are hunting.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:51 pm

Just trying to make you feel better.. It's terrible :o .Only joking :D .. Probably a duff batch weight wise ? Buy some cheap scales and be none the wiser.. I did :x

. I dont think 20 fps will make much of a difference at say 40 yards though ?.. . I've seen .22 rim-fire do + or - near 60 fps.. Chair gun will tell you :ugeek:
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:14 am

Guess it could have been a bad tin but I think they are just not suited but as they were freebies from where I got the rifle I thought I'd try them anyway. I was advised in another post that the 5.52 would be a lot better - and they most certainly are, that's why I bought some FX and JSB's. I am expecting an improvement using those as the rifle has had quite a few pellets through it now ;).

Never shot a rim fire so I'll take your word for that, you are right but I think it's just that I expect a lot sometimes :shock:
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Tue Jun 28, 2011 2:56 pm

Zero4k wrote:Decided to try a couple of different pellets - yeah OK I was bored :)

Read some pretty good reviews on Daystate pellets so bought a tub of The Rangemaster HE's and Rangemaster LI's for comparison.

One of the reason I like lighter pellets is the slightly flatter / straighter trajectory they give, the Crosman Premiers are from die number 1 and they are a few years old - I bought quite a few boxes of them after having good results but I'm on the last box now, I can only find die number 7 boxes currently and according to a couple of posts on another forum they are not as good.

The LI's lack a bit of punch compared to the Crosman's, why I don't know because they are very similar in design and the stated weight is the same - I don't own scales at the moment so I guess that's another purchase looming soon - this could really get out of control :geek: .

The HE's are superb in my opinion, they very hit hard even though they produce a slightly lower power reading than the FX and JSB's but I can live with that for the added velocity and a trajectory that is similar to the Premiers. They are also as accurate as the Premiers giving nice tight groups.

So for my own different types of shooting I'll be sticking with the FX / JSB's and Daystate HE's.

Anyone else compare different pellets or is just me?

Come on Guys !! :)
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:11 pm

This is an attempt at a close shot of a Daystate rangemaster Li after being fired, I used a rain water butt with a net in the bottom so I could retrieve the pellet. I was interested in the rifling to see how it fared:

The rifling marks are even all round the pellet so it looks to be a fairly good fit in the barrel.

I'm going to do the same with the Daystate Rangemaster HE, JSB, FX, and Crosman Premier - yup, guess I must be bored again. I will try to get the quality up on the photos next time ;)

P.S. There's one helluva splash when you fire into water :shock:
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 am

Graeme wrote:
Zero4k wrote:Anyone else compare different pellets or is just me?

Come on Guys !! :)
:D I'm probably the only one with enough time on his hands (one of the benefits of working from home), or maybe most people have already done this...
Zero4k

Postby Graeme on Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:16 pm

Very nice'n clear pic of the Pellet :) Rifling lands clearly visible... :idea: .I't not hard to imagine how the BC improves with a smooth Twist. :o ..
:lol:

Telephone Number of nice young lady :oops: just in case your thinking.. "i wonder how much it would cost :?: " is 01728 688555.. If you do ring and speak.. It would not hurt if you mentioned Graeme's ST barrel ;) :D :D

What i'm planning to do is a down range' say at 30m shot string with my LW barrel then with the ST.

Was your Quote on the above post from me.. or do you work from home too ?
Graeme

Postby Zero4k on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:12 pm

More .22 cal rifling results...

OK, left to right with figures in brackets from previous chrono sessions:

Crosman Premier 14.3gr (Av fps 580.42 - Av lb/ft 10.70)
Daystate Rangemaster LI 14.3gr (Av fps 573.25 - Av lb/ft 10.44)
Daystate Rangemaster HE 15.1gr (Av fps 582.50 - Av lb/ft 11.30)
FX version badged JSB Exact 16gr (AV fps 550.33 - Av lb/ft 11.42)

Looking closely at the pellets (not all that clear in the photos), there are differences as expected with the Rifling marks / lands on the skirts and heads, these weren't measured scientifically but by sight with the aid of a magnifying glass.

Skirt lightest to deepest - Crosman Premier, Daystate HE, Daystate LI, FX / JSB Exact

Head lightest to deepest - Daystate HE, FX / JSB Exact, Crosman Premier, Daystate LI

The last figures I got from the Daystate HE's were Av fps 588.75 - Av lb/ft 11.62 so I may well repeat the chrono sessions.
Last edited by Zero4k on Thu May 17, 2012 11:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
Zero4k

Postby Zero4k on Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:23 pm

Graeme wrote:Very nice'n clear pic of the Pellet :) Rifling lands clearly visible... :idea: .I't not hard to imagine how the BC improves with a smooth Twist. :o ..
:lol:
Telephone Number of nice young lady :oops: just in case your thinking.. "i wonder how much it would cost :?: " is 01728 688555.. If you do ring and speak.. It would not hurt if you mentioned Graeme's ST barrel ;) :D :D
What i'm planning to do is a down range' say at 30m shot string with my LW barrel then with the ST.
Was your Quote on the above post from me.. or do you work from home too ?
Cheers Graeme, it's a new camera and I'm still getting into using it....
It's a nice thought regarding the ST barrel and I know they get good results with higher powered rifles like yours but for mine I'll stick to the LW for now, did read they aren't quite there with the sub 12 yet.... OK I'll call the lady anyway and say Graeme's lost a lot of sleep over his lack of ST ;)

It'll be good to see those results when you have the barrel, I've not seen a side by side comparison between them yet. Wasn't quoting you buddy, I also work from home :D
Zero4k

PreviousNext

Return to Pellets