My long range scope

FX also has a line of optics these days. Discuss these scopes here, or share wat works best on your FX airgun!

My long range scope

Postby roachcreek on Mon May 21, 2012 4:12 am

I purchased this scope while waiting for my Royale 400 to arrive. I needed a scope to put on the Royale and I have a love of Leupold scopes having killed close to 45 elk thru the lenses of Leupolds.

First of all I would like to say that I would not have paid the new price for this scope, I found it used and paid half price for it on Ebay.

It is a Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x40 Long Range 30 MM SF. It also has the Holland reticle. Daryl Holland is a riflesmith of some renown here in Oregon. I had met Daryl Holland above my house in the bottom of a dark, cold and snowy canyon one morning while we we were both hunting elk, we talked for a while and parted ways and I was amased at how small the world was.

When I found the Leupold on EBAY, I only had 18 minutes to make up my mind to purchase it. I waited until there was 45 seconds remaining and put in a bid and got it for half the price of the $1300. that he sells it for new. Leupold installs his reticles which are his registered intellectual property and Holland sells them thru his shop.

The reticle has mils on the top and side legs of the reticle for range finding and on the bottom leg has MOA numbered marks that give you the MOA holdover.

I eventually put the scope on my 25 LBT rifle to take advantage of the long range features, I sighted it in for 50 yards and then shot at my steel painted target and just recorded the drop on the MOA reticle out to 150 yards. Then I used Handloads.com's ballistic computer to see where my drop would be at 280 yard, I dialed in the setting and found I was at POI for 280 yards, it was that easy.

This is the 30 MOA reticle, mine is a 24 MOA reticle.

What I really like about the scope is that it has 106 MOA of adjustment, which allows me to get on my 280 yard target with my 25 LBT shooting a 56 grain cast bullet at 930 FPS.

I have since added a side wheel and M1 Leupold turrents.

It was with this scope that I fired the best air gun group in my life. 3 shots into 1.5 inches at 280 yards.

The scope altho a 30 MM only weighs slightly less than one lb and is around 12 inches long.

For me it is the perfect long range air gun scope.
roachcreek

Re: My long range scope

Postby PolarWolf on Mon May 21, 2012 4:55 pm

Interesting scope with an interesting story! I personally wasn't aware of the existance of such a reticle.

I do like Leupolds though, I've two now, and a "custom shop" third on the way :)
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby roachcreek on Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

Polarwolf,

I am a scope snob I suppose, but having been a hunter almost all my life and having many hunters come to my mountain home to elk hunt, I never saw a Leupold fail from weather or any other cause.

I have had dozens of them over the years, mostly VXII and VXIII and feel you can never go wrong with Leupold.

I also feel that putting cheap optics on these fine FX rifles handicaps a lot of shooters, but like I say I am a scope snob.

A friend of mine once bought an acient Leupold in a garage sale, it was a 4 power and one of the prior owners thru obvious abuse had managed to break the croshair reticle in it. My friend bought it for $25.00 and sent it to Leupold where they replaced the reticle at no charge. He later sold it to me and I used it for years, what more can be said for after sales service than that.
roachcreek

Postby PolarWolf on Tue May 22, 2012 8:16 pm

Snob...nah. You just progress to better quality optics with good after sales. Sofar I like Leupold. I peered through a Zeiss and wasn't impressed. S&B is out of my pricerange, so Leupold it is :)

$25...hmm, there are days I wish I lived in the USA :)
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby Zero4k on Thu May 24, 2012 10:56 pm

I've never seen a reticle like that before, couldn't figure it out then re-read your post saw MOA - then the mist cleared. That's a very lightweight scope too. Don't know about scope snob, I think Polar got the progress bit right, but guess ultimately you buy what you need to do the job, you've got some quality kit there roach :)
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Return to Optics