Simmons optics

FX also has a line of optics these days. Discuss these scopes here, or share wat works best on your FX airgun!

Simmons optics

Postby Zero4k on Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:41 pm

Been looking for a light weight scope for the Royale, has anyone owned or tried a ProHunter 6-21X44 SF? I've searched for reviews but can't find anything that isn't on a gun shop customer mini review and I'm not too convinced that any negative reviews would be published.

It seems to have all I want in the way of features:
Light weight
Fairly short
Side parallax / focus
Mil Dot reticle
Included sun shade

I can't find a uk gun shop that stocks them although they can probably be ordered, so any views / experiences of these scopes by anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance...
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Re: Simmons optics

Postby Graeme on Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:24 pm

Did you see in.. one of the airgun mags a test on a new MTC scope.. Viper connect think it was called.. Looks very interesting and different. Very wide field of view etc

Can't say i know the scope you mentioned, Hopefully somebody will read this and be good enough to comment ???
The Bushnell Elite's are fabulous in low light and it what i put on most of my guns.. Only wish I'd spent more and got one for my Verminator.. The Night Eater i have is pants at dusk.. Out shooting one evening, my Friend asked to look through my Bushnell Elite 4200 6-24 X 50 on the way back to the car, then he asked if it was night vision.

Anybody ?
Graeme

Re: Simmons optics

Postby Zero4k on Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:43 am

I like the concept of the MTC Connect, I know the early ones had a couple of issues and I'm certain they have been sorted now. I'd have to look through one before commenting but I have read some very positive reviews.

I've come to the conclusion that relying on magazine reviews isn't too good as they get revenue from the scope adverts - how many bad reviews have you read in any airgun publication or on gunmart.net for example? I read good reviews on that site for different scopes, one in particular, went onto a few forums and everyone was saying they were basically garbage. To be fair though, I often wonder how many posters had actually looked though one before commenting.

Having searched some more regarding the Simmons range, it appears we only get the Truplex reticle offered in the UK, why is beyond reason to me when most scopes we have here have a mil dot - and yes Simmons do make mil dot scopes. Plenty for sale in the USA of course 8-). The choice of scopes in the UK is very limited compared to the USA where there is a vast - almost endless selection on offer, and naturally - they are far cheaper than here :!: .

There's nothing wrong with my current scope at all, in fact it's excellent all round, I just want to try a lightweight / compact scope for free hand shooting but still have side wheel parallax / focus with a similar magnification. As I mainly use mine on 10x I have even looked at fixed mag scopes but for a decent one you still end up with a heavyweight item. Biggest problem is not being able to look through most scopes before buying, no one stocks them unless they are mainstream / high volume sales items, you only have the mail order suppliers who stock anything different but you can't visit them to look before buying - and it's they who offer the better deals usually.

Edit:
Decision made, there is nothing that compares to the Mamba in the budget I have set myself - the Mamba will stay.
FX Royale 400 .22 - FX Verminator MKII .177
Zero4k

Return to Optics