FX Compressor

FX Rapier (Webley Raider, Logun Gemini), FX Ultimate (RWS Scimitar), Axsor, (Webley/Logun Axsor), etc.

Re: FX Compressor

Postby ian johnstone on Mon Sep 29, 2008 11:44 am

In that article by Tom Gaylord he mentioned a User Preset 'auto cutoff' (or summat), I'm wondering if that needs tweaking?
(no doubt you've tried that already).

If you lived closer to me I'd nip round with me stirrup pump :P
ian johnstone

Postby Troubledshooter on Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:38 pm

Overheating was something I considered, but when the same thing happens from cold when trying to top up a buddy bottle, it rules out overheating.
I do realise it is just a mechanised and water cooled stirrup pump.
The 205bar electrical cut out doesn't get a chance to operate, as the motor gives up the ghost long before the pre set pressure.
Prior to this malfunction, the cut out was operating perfectly.
Troubledshooter

Postby Bridger on Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:50 pm

Hi Troubleshooter, what was the original problem ? it seems you have cured one problem but created another by changing so many spare parts at once. Can you go back to status quo and change one item at a time, if this does not cure the problem put the original part back on then change another, do this till you find the offending part and you may start getting somewhere.
Troubledshooter wrote:
ian johnstone wrote:Is it this type 'troubledshooter'?
http://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Review% ... ylord.html

Yes, that's the one, Ian.
I have in the past tried getting some help from FX, but it's like banging one's head against a brick wall, as they tell me they can no longer contact the man who made the compressors, and know nothing about the working or maintenance of the unit.
I contacted Ruag Amotec who still had a small stock of spares, which they then sent to me, so I have rebuilt and refitted some of the parts, but I have now got another problem with the motor giving up the ghost at 100bar. I have tried another more powerful motor, but all this does is to increase the give up point to 150bar.
This problem has suddenly occurred, as it was filling buddy bottles to it's automatic cut off of 205bar after I had fitted a new non return valve to the pump unit. but has now developed this new problem. I think it may be down to the regulator unit, but have no knowledge how this works. It appears to be unique to this unit.
I was hoping someone on this forum might have experience with maintenance/fault finding on this compressor.
I will contact Ruag next week to see if they have any idea.
Bridger

Postby Troubledshooter on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Having spoken to Ruag Amotec again today, it would appear I may have been unlucky with the replacement pump unit, so I am going to strip, re-seal and lubricate another one.
When the motor was unable to power the unit to it's normal pressure, I thought it prudent to check all parts in the drive chain, which is what I did, only replacing the pump unit after nothing else untoward was found. The only other main part was the regulator unit, about which I knew nothing, but having spoken to Ruag Amotec I now know it is unlikely to be the culprit.
Troubledshooter

Postby ian johnstone on Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:33 pm

Well, I'm wishing you the very best of luck, as I know you've been struggling with the unit for some time :(

In some ways the rather Victorian (Gt Britain Queen chaps, during most of our Industrial Revolution) Engineering involved is a good thing, mostly because a fault will often be visible. (as opposed to a PCB for instance).
ian johnstone

Postby Troubledshooter on Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:25 am

I have now been given an email address for 'Lars' by FX, so I hope I may at least get a diagram and parts list.
Troubledshooter

Previous

Return to Other FX airguns and related models