life with the Ultimate?

FX Rapier (Webley Raider, Logun Gemini), FX Ultimate (RWS Scimitar), Axsor, (Webley/Logun Axsor), etc.

life with the Ultimate?

Postby darryl on Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:20 pm

Hi guys,
I'm looking at possibly buying an FX Ultimate in .22 It's been completely serviced by the seller, and airgun dealer. I've been trying to find information about it, and thought it would be good to ask here for impressions from past and present owners. The one I'm interested in is a .22. I don't know very much about this FX model, but it seems to be sort of compact, and maybe the progenitor of the Ranchero. Can someone educate me on this one? I'm also looking at an FX Thor (Tarantula), but I already own a Timberwolf (very satisfying at 70 yards) so I thought something a bit different might be in line for my little collection.
thank you,
darryl
The mind is like a parachute; it's only useful if it's open
darryl

Re: life with the Ultimate?

Postby PolarWolf on Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:22 pm

A predecessor to the Ranchero it is not, it's the predecessor of the FX Storm. It's an interresting gun, but I couldn't really get along with it. If you get a chance, try it out before you buy, it requires a special way of handling. If you like it, it's just as accurate and reliable as models using the similar action block so you can't really go wrong there. It's about as long as the regular rifle models.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby JohnnySweden on Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:06 pm

As PolarWolf said, I would strongly suggest that you try it out before you buy it, some people just cant get along with its odd cycling of the mag system.

I prefare the 177 UK version with short 16 inch barrel and the 330 mm short tube, it a very pointable rifle and with the right shooter, used to it, its also indeed a very fast rifle.

Otherwise a good solid model and way ahead of its time at its launch back in 2002, the successor, the Storm, was never as popular and both models were eclipsed by the later true semis (Revo & Monsoon).
My airgun blog: http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

.25 FX Airguns Elite 500 Mk I - Bushnell Legend 5-15/40 Ao
.177 Crosman Challenger - Leupold 3-9/33 EFR
.22 BSA Ultra Mk I - Tasco Varmint I 2.5-10/42 Ao
JohnnySweden

Postby darryl on Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:04 am

Hi Johnny
Howzit going? Miss seeing you on the Yellow. It's an unfortunate reality of geography that I'm in Ohio, and the Ultimate is in California. So I can't try it before I buy it. I've done some additional investigating of the rifle, and at 44 inches long, it's not really what I'm looking for. But it is quirky enough that I find it's cocking mechanism fascinating. I wish it were a bit shorter as I want a point-and-shoot carbine type. I had a P-rod, but wanted something a bit more powerful, I thought. Anyway, I see on the same site that an FX Thor (Tarantula) is for sale too, and not overpriced as the Tarantula seems to be these days: http://www.pomona-airguns.com/PAG%20Use ... celist.htm So, do you think the Thor would be a good mate for my Timberwolf? Or should I save for a true carbine?
darryl
darryl

Postby PolarWolf on Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:25 am

darryl wrote:Hi Johnny
Howzit going? Miss seeing you on the Yellow. It's an unfortunate reality of geography that I'm in Ohio, and the Ultimate is in California. So I can't try it before I buy it. I've done some additional investigating of the rifle, and at 44 inches long, it's not really what I'm looking for. But it is quirky enough that I find it's cocking mechanism fascinating. I wish it were a bit shorter as I want a point-and-shoot carbine type. I had a P-rod, but wanted something a bit more powerful, I thought. Anyway, I see on the same site that an FX Thor (Tarantula) is for sale too, and not overpriced as the Tarantula seems to be these days: http://www.pomona-airguns.com/PAG%20Use ... celist.htm So, do you think the Thor would be a good mate for my Timberwolf? Or should I save for a true carbine?
darryl

All FX rifles are pretty much the same length, except for the old carbine FX2000 which is (a bit) shorter and of course the verminator. If you want a true FX based carbine I'd go look for one of those.

Of course any rifle can be made into a carbine...

If you have the cash, that Thor is always nice to have. But since you already own pretty much the same model...
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby JohnnySweden on Sun Aug 05, 2012 2:36 pm

Most rifle intended for the US market was equpped with long barrels and long tubes in order to achive as much power as possible and a decent shot count.

The carbine versions were however more popular here in Europe were different powerlimits restrict fpe anyway..
My airgun blog: http://airpang.bloggplatsen.se/

.25 FX Airguns Elite 500 Mk I - Bushnell Legend 5-15/40 Ao
.177 Crosman Challenger - Leupold 3-9/33 EFR
.22 BSA Ultra Mk I - Tasco Varmint I 2.5-10/42 Ao
JohnnySweden

Postby darryl on Sun Aug 05, 2012 3:04 pm

I found this report on the FX2000. It's right up there in power with my Timberwolf, and seems just as long (not quite a carbine?) http://varmintair.typepad.com/varmintairs_blog/fx-2000/
thank you all for sharing and continuing my FX education! :) The Verminator seems a bit beyond my meager means at the moment. :(
darryl
darryl

Return to Other FX airguns and related models