adj. screw

One of the few truly high powered PCP airpistols on the market. Also known as FX8500/8500-22

adj. screw

Postby fxuser on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:09 pm

...and so looks like the hammer spring adj. screw of my new Ranchero if FX is
ready to setting, they drill out the slot completely, also glue in the screw

never saw this :) :) :)
Attachments
adj_screw2.jpg
adj_screw2.jpg (62.07 KiB) Viewed 4361 times
adj_screw1.jpg
adj_screw1.jpg (57.64 KiB) Viewed 4360 times
FX2000 .22 FXCyclone .177 FXranchero .22
fxuser

Re: adj. screw

Postby ian johnstone on Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:30 pm

That's different from the AT that Ben Taylor used to fit to FXs !

Perhaps one of our 'forum engineers' :) can advise on a suitable course of action, Ralph?
ian johnstone

Postby PolarWolf on Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:06 pm

Yuch.

Breaking the loctite is always a problem, but all breaks at 60 degrees C. So using a heat gun on the loctite works, but also shocking it to release by whacking the nut works.

But there are several solutions for the actual nut.
1) Special taps (the thingies used to make screw thread) which makes a thread running counter clockwise and set themselves into the hole being tapped. If the tap sets and you keep turning, guess what'll start turning too ;)
2) Drill two small holes on either side of the big one and make a special wrench which utilizes those holes

Circumventing any AT measure is easy as pie as long as you have some tools and skills. That's why it's just a political "solution" for a non existant problem ;)

Too bad FX went along with this idiocy.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby ian johnstone on Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:10 pm

:o I was going to suggest the "2 small holes" drilled into the rim as the removal method :) (no, I was!). It should give the most leverage.

To heat the area you could try your hair-dryer, Ralph :lol:

Don't forget to dispose of the offending 'nut' responsibly, Ralph ;)
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:37 am

PolarWolf wrote:Yuch.

Breaking the loctite is always a problem, but all breaks at 60 degrees C. So using a heat gun on the loctite works, but also shocking it to release by whacking the nut works.

But there are several solutions for the actual nut.
1) Special taps (the thingies used to make screw thread) which makes a thread running counter clockwise and set themselves into the hole being tapped. If the tap sets and you keep turning, guess what'll start turning too ;)
2) Drill two small holes on either side of the big one and make a special wrench which utilizes those holes

Circumventing any AT measure is easy as pie as long as you have some tools and skills. That's why it's just a political "solution" for a non existant problem ;)

Too bad FX went along with this idiocy.

I agree with steps (1) and (2), Also I have seen a slot cut into a similar AT plug using a 20mm diameter slitting wheel in a dremel, the wheels are only about 1mm thick so make a nice groove for a screw driver. Having said that I would definitely go with (2) and make up a suitable wrench, similar to the type used for tightening angle grinding discs. This the only method without risk of going through and damaging the spring guide (though not difficult to make/replace)

I have experience with left hand taps (1), they would definitely be a good idea, but the taps are more expensive than right hand taps, you have to find a set, then find the matching screw.

I have also used stud extractors, for removing broken screws, I would only go down this road as a last resort, if the screw does not come out using these, they can make quite a mess. I assume you will be replacing the AT with a non AT after, so this would be the easy option.

Finally, there are many types of loctite and looking at their application where Loctite recommend curing at up to 100 degrees centigrade, I think a little more heat would be needed to break the bond. I have had to use noticeably more on some parts. If super glue has been used then the bond will be broken at a lower temperature.
You should try to separate the parts while hot, rather than letting them cool down.
requoil

Postby fxuser on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:44 am

many thanks for your reflections, i am sure i will find a way.

ohh man, i hate this loctite !!!

must be careful, my heat gun makes 500 degrees C., a bit to closer
and the valve seal goes away (had this case in the past)

Ralph
FX2000 .22 FXCyclone .177 FXranchero .22
fxuser

Return to FX Ranchero