Unexplained flyers?????

FX's "TDR" or "Take Down Rifle". Biathlon style sidelever action in a small package.

Unexplained flyers?????

Postby Huw on Wed May 24, 2017 10:27 pm

Hi all,
Just joined the forum as I've been having weird and unexplained flyers out of my .177 sub 12 mark2 verminator.
It's doing my head in. Sometimes the pellets are hitting one hole groups and the next time I load up the same magazine they are 6 inches off in different directions. I've tried a brand new mag and it's the same story. I've tried putting pellets in individually and accuracy returns back to one hole groups. I'm unable to return it under warranty as I purchased it second hand.
All help and suggestions gratefully received.
Huw

Re: Unexplained flyers?????

Postby Pauly5 on Thu May 25, 2017 9:55 am

That's frustrating for you. Is there a silencer fitted, maybe its clipping?
I have a cyclone, and i found using a light dusting of silicone spray over the pellets helped, as it's pellet of choice would sometimes get caught up on the O ring in the mag and make it hard to push the cocking arm home.

Is everything tight, no loose screws? What about barrel band, does it have one? it could be pushing the barrel out a bit. Or the breech seal, is it sealing properly each time?

Good luck.
Pauly5

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Thu May 25, 2017 5:36 pm

Certainly sounds magazine related - as when you load single pellets the problem disappears, could it be that the magazine isn't pushed all the way in - or perhaps something's worn & it gets pushed too far? (I'm taking it that it's the plastic wind-up one, rather than the 8 shot)
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Postby Huw on Thu May 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Thanks both for the replies. Yes it's the clockwork magazine. Even the new one is the same. Single loading it's perfect. Even with the Hugget silencer on it. Going to see if I can alter the tension on them. If that doesn't work then I think I'll try ASI and see if they can help.
Huw

Postby Huw on Sat May 27, 2017 9:29 pm

Well it seems as though there was too much tension on the springs in the mags. Back to one hole groups.......happy days :D
Huw

Postby Pauly5 on Sun May 28, 2017 2:44 am

Nothing like a happy ending. :D
Pauly5

Postby Huw on Sun May 28, 2017 10:14 am

Yes Paul, it doesn't happen to me very often but when it does I do appreciate them :))
Huw

Postby Pauly5 on Sun May 28, 2017 12:12 pm

I had a kind of similar experience. Barracuda pellets were working beautifully, then I got a new tin and every second shot was a flier, plus the cooking arm was hard to push home most of the time. When it went smooth the shot was good. It did my head in at first, but like I said I used a little silicone spray on the pellets and mags and it solved the problem.
You can see why target shooters don't want to use mags.
Pauly5

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Tue May 30, 2017 10:54 pm

Glad to hear that that's sorted :D
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Postby Huw on Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Further update.

It seems that the problem was not solved and that it was just luck that I had positioned the mag just right in the breach( there seems to be a little bit of movement and that this is causing the pellets not to go in the breach cleanly.
I have been in touch with A.S.I and they have offered to take a look at it. They said that it could be that the barrel had moved forward and that the brass coloured breach entrance may not have the correct amount sticking out into breach to hold the mag tightly. Has anyone else had a similar problem?
Huw

Next

Return to FX Verminator