The airgun doctor

FX's "TDR" or "Take Down Rifle". Biathlon style sidelever action in a small package.

The airgun doctor

Postby Thynne on Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:34 pm

Has anyone got any recommendation to make regarding who is the best Vermy Mk1 engineer in the UK? After a couple of years concentrating on things other than air gunning I have decided to get back into it and want to renovate my old Vermy Mk1 which will currently not hold more than 80 bar. Of course I am confident that I can fix it (Zero4k gave me a massive amount of help in the past on dealing with the Vermy) but base on previous experience it is almost certain that, after I have tinkered with it (B********d it up) , it will have to be sent off to a proper professional to right all the wrongs I have subjected it to....I know it would be simpler to send it off now and resist the urge to fettle, but that's the fun of owning an old FX.....the chance to pretend that I know what I am doing when tampering with it. Just imagine the joy when one day in the future I get it right!

I emailed Ben Taylor (who supplied me with a sublimely set up an FAC Royale .22 a couple of years ago) and he has come back saying he is now retired! Help! Is there anyone you can suggest who really 'gets it', can repair my botched servicing and can make my old Vermy Mk1 .177 sing and dance at 18ftlbs?
MK1 Verminator .177 FAC
Royale 400 .22 FAC
Lots of other air rifles, shotguns, and .17hmr
Thynne

Re: The airgun doctor

Postby baguln on Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:53 pm

there is a guy who goes under the name of air gun doctor as it goes, simon who used to work at webley.
top bloke and has helped me out with old spares in the past.
look online your find him
baguln

Postby Thynne on Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:45 pm

Many thanks for the recommendation, I will look him up.

I have been trying to rationalise combinations of rifles and day and night sights to maximum 3 rifles. We all have a different set of needs with our shooting but for me, having had a long hard think about the Bobcat, Vermy Mk2, the Daystate Pulsar etc I have decided (finally, I hope....ask me tomorrow) that I am going to fill the .177 slot on my FAC with the good old Vermy Mk1 and get rid of three other .177s. When I take everything in to account there is no doubt the newer rifle designs deliver more in some terms, but at the end of the day a rifle as light and pointable as the MK1 (and its take down configuration) just take some beating. Also, it saves me having to buy a new rifle and means I can no longer kid myself I need/deserve the Pulsar Digisight with laser range finding on board! The problem with the Verminator Mk2 is for me is the amount of clearance required to mount a scope above the magazine, since much of the shooting I do with .177 can be between 10 and 50 yards and the nearer the centre of the objective lens to the muzzle, the less room for error there is when trying to judge range at night with no depth of field.

I have been shooting air rifles for very nearly 45 years and owned countless numbers of them. Whilst it is not the most accurate, reliable or beautiful of them, the Vermy MK1 is still my all time favourite.
MK1 Verminator .177 FAC
Royale 400 .22 FAC
Thynne

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:08 pm

Would suggest Simon at ASI, but can't give any idea of cost (he's sorted various bits on my Cyclone & I'll be going to him for anything for my Mk1 vermy)
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Postby cyclone sniper on Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm

your vermy only holds 80bar is it reged ????? ..
and its not accurate or reliable :o !!
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Postby Thynne on Wed Feb 04, 2015 12:01 am

Cyclone. Yes, my vermy is old and in need of TLC (and probably not my own brand of DIY) and no, it is not the most accurate rifle I have owned in .177, nor the most reliable. What I was trying to say I s that despite it's age and relative lack of modern technological enhancements, I do think the Vermy Mk1 is one of the best air rifles ever produced. There is just something special about it.
MK1 Verminator .177 FAC
Royale 400 .22 FAC
Thynne

Postby cyclone sniper on Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:29 am

they are fairly easy to service , loads of info on here on how too , it may just be pellet fussy and or have a dirty barrel etc , un reged in fac is not as accurate as a sub 12 reged
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Return to FX Verminator