.22 Monsoon upgrade power..

The "other" semi-auto airrifle from FX.

.22 Monsoon upgrade power..

Postby sinking on Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:15 pm

Dear everybuddy..

My name is Sinking, i got the FX monsoon .22 cal. , i want to make my monsoon upgrade power,

any pro. can teach me how do it? I hope can make it over 50 j..

thanks
sinking

Re: .22 Monsoon upgrade power..

Postby AIRCRETE on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:04 pm

Try to paint it polka dot. It may scare the neighbours, though.

On another note, if you need more than 30 Ft.lb. energy go for a Ruger 10/22 and you are done. In other words, if you are not happy with your Monsoon air rifle, then you may need a rimfire and a muzzle can, which will bring you squarely to more ft.lb. energy.

There are 30 ft.lb. airguns available but they are very finicky, provide fewer shots per fill and make a heck of a racket noisewise when not suppressed.

The Monsoon is a unique semi-auto PCP that operates on a strictly adjusted mechanism. The bolt bouces a lot and valuable air is lost. This can be fixed with a stiffer debouncer sping inside the valve, but it will only provide more shots per fill, rather than more ft.lb. energy per shot.
AIRCRETE

Postby johnyc on Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:33 pm

hi Aircrete.
do you have anymore details about the stiffer debouncer spring?
johnyc

Postby AIRCRETE on Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi johnyc,

Sorry for the delay but I only now saw this post. I am now using a Mac, which displays this forum, since my old Windows XP doesn't.

The Monsoon spring provides the semi-auto action @ precisely 100BAR pressure. As soon as the pressure drops below 100BAR the action is converted to single-shot.

Even at a 200BAR fill the spring sometimes fails to deliver semi-automatic functioning. For a reliable semi-auto action a 190BAR fill works best for me when using 16.0 grains JSB Exacts.

The spring stiffness can be adjusted. Removing the action from the stock reveals the slotted spring retainer at the back behind the bolt.

I have played w/various settings and different pellet weights from 11.0 grains RWS Hobby to 29.0 grains Eun Jins. Each pellet requires fine-tuning for reliable semi-auto work.
The shot count may change, of course, but the heavier pellets give the impression of hitting harder and it is fun to set the Monsoon up for these heavies, as long as you don't expect the rifle to work afterwards with lighter weight pellets. It will need a new setting of the screw. Usually a stiffer spring results with a clockwise turn and a softer with an anti-clockwise turn. The foot/pound end result will remain roughly the same (approx. 30 ft/Lbs. in .22 cal.), with any given combination -- as long as the semi-auto mechanism is functioning and drop sharply from there on with heavier pellets and less severely with lighter ones.

I hope this helps some.

Kindly.
AIRCRETE

Return to FX Monsoon