New monsoon

The "other" semi-auto airrifle from FX.

New monsoon

Postby wombat on Thu Dec 24, 2015 5:48 am

G'day all, received new .22 monsoon yesterday, very happy, seems fx has made an improvement to the monsoon, I don't know what year they started doing this, mine is a 2015 manufactured model. The one I received has a steel plate embedded on/in the receiver where the bolt travels back and forwards and locks back, I had noticed while surfing the web on monsoons prior to purchase that ones that had been used a bit tended to be scruffed up in that area. I only have about 20 meter range in my back yard so spent some time testing a bunch of pellets for function and found that as long as the pellet is of round nose design and between 15g and 18g it functions perfectly. I now have 5 different pellets to try at 50m when I get the chance, all 5 shot well under 1/2 inch using the corner of my shed as support which is excellent as 3 of the 5 pellet choices are cheap budget pellets(Gamo etc.) and the other 2 are FX's smooth twist 16g and H&N Baracuda Hunter 18g (hollow point but is round enough to function). I will try to post some pictures when I've got stock removed so others can tell me if there are any other differents/improvements over the older model monsoons. Anyway Merry Christmas and happy and safe New Year to all. wombat
wombat

Re: New monsoon

Postby Guipago on Sun Jan 17, 2016 12:53 am

I've got the older version .22, so all eyes & ears on the improvements.
Guipago

Re: New monsoon

Postby wombat on Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:49 pm

I'm still having fun shooting it and have not had any real problems with it yet, so while it's working fine so I won't pull it apart to have a closer look just yet. One other thing I notice that is different to ones I've seen on the web is when I unscrewed the muzzle cap to clean the barrel there is nothing in there, I mean that it looks like a suppressor without baffles all there is empty space about 5 to 6 inches deep and then the real barrel/muzzle/crown. This would explain how quite it is, it is also semi auto with the cap on or off so I think the wasted air recovery system is different to previous monsoons. The only problems I've had so far was when I lubricated the action, it didn't like too much oil or oil/lube that was too thick or gummy, once I flushed out what I put in there with wd-40 it started working perfectly. I'm happy with it, reminds me of my old ruger 10/22 :(
wombat

Return to FX Monsoon