Barrel diameter

FX's "pistol grip action" rifle ( FX3100 / FX3100-22), and until the Royale (see below) comes out officially, FX's latest model.

Barrel diameter

Postby requoil on Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi guys, I got my RWS Scimitar today and straight away I noticed that it has quite a slim barrel! My Dominator barrel has an o/d of 14mm, but I measured the Scimitar at 11.83mm, is this normal?
requoil

Re: Barrel diameter

Postby ian johnstone on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:42 pm

For an earlier model, yes. I think the Mark1 Spectres had the same barrel o/d (~12mm), as did the FX2000 / RWS Excalibre of the time.

More importantly how do you find the cocking action ? (with the Storm 'one' must only cock the action when the gun is shouldered - to get the straight pull).
I imagine yours has a Grip spring detent ball which can be adjusted if the pistol grip is sloppy.
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:00 pm

Thanks Ian, I mic'd the barrel at 11.83 so it probably started life in production as a 12mm diameter one. It does have a 1/2" UNF adapter on the end enabling the use of most common silencers (It came with the Weihrauch model).

Yes it does have the indent ball in the shoulder tube and it feels quite positive. I've only dry fired it as it arrived empty, but I do like the action, and the trigger is perfect for me, light and a crisp let off.

I have only tried it shouldered, but I find that if I put a slight pivoting pressure on the grip(pushing the heel of the pistol grip away from me and the top of it towards me) it cycles very smoothly. I think this is because the natural movement of pulling the pistol grip back tends to pull the tube and sleeve out of concentricity or alignment.....I know it isn't easy to explain what I mean but perhaps you know, as you have had one yourself.
Closest I'm gonna get to a semi auto anyway.

Thanks for the reply and the tips.
requoil

Postby requoil on Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:20 pm

While I'm picking your brains, if putting a PCP away for storage, are you better leaving the air cylinder empty, or with some air pressure in, and if so, how much.

I have been told to store my Innova's and Ace with air pressure in them, but I don't know the reason why!
requoil

Postby ian johnstone on Thu Nov 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Last first :D
You should always store any PCP with a 'residual' pressure in the air tube, personally, I dont leave mine with less than 100 BAR in.
(there are a number of seemingly minor reasons for this).

One of the major difs to the Storm is the Storm's 'return lug' on the cocking grip, this is supposed to ensure better alignment (when pulling back). The first time I tried to cock my Storm was in the shop, in front of everybody, & I attempted to cock it at arms length :o :o :o .

The best guide to appropriate cocking is the sound, its kind of a click, clickety, click if that makes sense?
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:29 pm

Note taken of storage details, thank you.

The cocking clicks........yes, it does make sense. I'm a happy bunny. :D
requoil

Postby requoil on Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:53 pm

Hi again guys, another question if you don't mind.

As I have both the 14mm barrel and the 12mm RWs Scimitar barrel, does anyone know offhand if they are interchangeable, them having the step down into the breech thing. So with a different pellet probe, barrel and mag, all I need to do is to adjust the power between calibre swaps?
requoil

Postby ian johnstone on Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:03 pm

I'm certain they will be interchangeable (the barrels) & if you dig out Liam's comment from somewhere I think that confirms it.
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Thank you for ALL the help Ian.
requoil

Return to FX Storm