Whats wrong with the Storm?

FX's "pistol grip action" rifle ( FX3100 / FX3100-22), and until the Royale (see below) comes out officially, FX's latest model.

Whats wrong with the Storm?

Postby requoil on Sun Oct 11, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi guys, I'm negotiating the purchase of an FX Storm, I am puzzled to find a couple of owners wanting to fit the biathlon style cocking system. Can you tell me what's wrong with the pistol grip cocking please. I know Ian has already posted that it is noisy, but how noisy, and are the other issues? It is a 2006 RWS Scimitar model (I am led to believe).

Thank you.
requoil

Re: Whats wrong with the Storm?

Postby ian johnstone on Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:41 pm

The Mark 1 required quite a disciplined approach to cocking (I believe), this was mostly fixed for the Mk. 2 but by then the american market (probably Airguns of Arizona) weren't interested.

Not long afterwards the semi-auto FXs were released & the US went mad for 'em & the Storm never made it to america (AFAIK) :lol:

Mr 'Lightning22' on here (& elsewhere) had one of the Mk1s & sold it to a Mr 'bigjob' ( :) no its true!) recently.
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 pm

Thanks Ian, as reliable as ever to help.

Do you know the approximate change over date from MK1 to MK2 please, I know its a big ask.

I have dealt with a "bigjob" on bbs and he was very helpful to me, so I have pm'd him to see if he is he.

Finally, is the Storm still in production?
requoil

Postby ian johnstone on Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:05 pm

The changes were largely in the stock design & especially the moveable pistol grip (to keep it lined-up).

Not sure on the changeover dates.
If your Mr bigjob was based in Devon - that's the very man!

(he likes 'rapid' fire, tactical guns)
ian johnstone

Postby requoil on Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:44 pm

Thanks again Ian, I am in "pm" with devon bigjob chap 8-)
requoil

Postby wyseyes on Mon Oct 12, 2009 6:48 am

I have a friend who had one, and he told me that it was not that easy to shoot. The main reason was that the trigger hand was always wanting to grip the rifle and pull back into the shoulder. However, on the Storm, this would start the action to double cock, and load another pellet. It is not a natural style - pulling back on the forehand, and pushing forward on the trigger hand.
So he also went to the biathlon action, and locked the slide mech, so it all became an ambidextrous thumbhole FX stock. For some reason, all the other thumbhole stocks were RH (ignoring the pistolgrip of the G, R and V).
Note now the Storm (and the GladPump) have been removed from the FX Website, replaced by the Royale.
FX Monsoon .22 Fully Shrouded, Barska 3-12x40
FX Verminator .22, Leapers 4-12x40 SWAT
Benjamin Discovery .177, Barska 3-24x42
Damagedâ„¢ Gamo CFX .22, Leapers 3-9x50, GRTIII Trigger, PelletPal
wyseyes

Postby requoil on Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Thanks all, advice taken on board and purchase cancelled.
requoil

Postby AndyC on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:59 am

I have a storm and reckon its a machine!
Yes the grip can disengage if you pull the rifle into your shoulder too much, but you can easily tighten the ball detent that holds the grip in the closed position with an allen key.
The Gladiator PA ' s main fault IMOH, was it's extreme rearward center of gravity, though this could be corrected somewhat with a "heavy" silencer. It used an adjustable ball detent to set the pump slide also.
AndyC

Postby vulpinehunter on Wed Aug 29, 2012 8:32 pm

I have storm and love it, yes it does (or did) want to load another pellet into barrel and I got round this by a small mod I drilled the trigger guard and put in a small black plastic bar about 10mm dia.
You can grip this with you middle fingure and it no longer cocks every two mins.

All you need is 4.2 mm drill and 5mm tap and the plastic bar.
I will knock some up if I get some interest,
Just cover my costs.

thanks for looking
vulpinehunter

Postby kash2001 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:49 am

HI vulpinehunter this mod you mentioned does sound interesting, I've tried to adapt my shouldering technique to stop the double cooking issue, do you have any pics of where you drilled, I'd be interested in getting the rod if it sorts the issue.

Many thanks for any help on this ;-)

Atb
kash2001

Return to FX Storm