Tuning a Gladi8or

Two types known, the "DA" or "Double Air" and the "PA" or "Pump Action" (a.k.a. FX Exterminator). Lots of air (500cc minimum), and the same biathlon style sidelever action as the Cutlas. Also known as Logun Gladi8tor.

Re: Tuning a Gladi8or

Postby spectrecustom on Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:38 pm

ive got a few tins of the 24grain 22 onesAND THEY AINT ALL THAT GOOD! they look good though
FX SPECT8TER DA CUSTOM AND AA TX200HC CUSTOM
spectrecustom

Postby requoil on Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:49 pm

spectrecustom wrote:ive got a few tins of the 24grain 22 onesAND THEY AINT ALL THAT GOOD! they look good though

Yes, this is a problem, I have a few tins of Eley wasp magnums which are about 30 grains and a few tins of Shark magnums that are similar, neither would win any prizes for accuracy, so my advice is find a good quality pellet (Exacts, AA's, FX's etc etc) that suits your gun and stick at a power level that produces good groups. Heavy weight pellets are ok for pub bragging......my pcp produces XXX ft/lbs, but no mention of whether they can hit anything with them.

Only my opinion guys, and I wouldn't be surprised if someone somewhere has a pcp that puts pellet on pellet using some 30 grain pellets.
requoil

Postby Arktokosmos on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:01 am

requoil wrote:You can increase the power but keep the pellets at sub sonic (quiet) levels by using a stronger hammer spring combined with a heavy weight pellet such as these 15.74 grain 177 pellets http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/H-N-RABBIT-MAGNUM ... 2a043f4589 not only can higher power levels be achieved without going super sonic, these pellets should be more stable than waisted pellets above Mach1 due to their bullet shape ogive. Heavy 177 pellets retain more of their start energy downrange than light weight pellets, but there is no point in retaining a greater residual power downrange unless you are still hitting the target, you must find what is accurate in your airgun. At the end of the day accuracy trumps power every time.

Are you shooting at paper targets or vermin?

Incidentally, keeping everything on your pcp the same, but changing the barrel, mag, and loading probe to 22 instead of your 177 will increase the power even though the velocity will drop.

p.s. I am not recommending the above brand of pellets, I have never tried them myself.

Thank you very much - both of you again - for your postings.
Learned a couple of things today. Have been talking to a gunsmith and got the following "rule of thumb" when it comes to velocity increase and added barrel length: It is roughly 2 meters per second for any added centimeter of barrel length. So with my intended 100 mm I would end up pretty much around 320 m/sec. But going back to the pellet you introduced here:
Well, I am mostly into plinking, field targets and sometimes a bit of "pest control" (let's call it like that...). The pellets you mention are not my first choice, even though H&N recommends them for hunting purposes with rifles of 20 Joule and above. Personally I go for H&N Barracuda (Extra Heavy, available in 4,52 mm even and has around 10,65 grains -> extreme accurate and powerful pellet especially for long-range shooting), JSB Predator (just a deadly pellet for any vermint) or the FX standard pellets, the latter are simply quite nice for spare-time plinking. Additionally I can recommend the H&N Silver Point pellets at 11.57 grains, which is extremely powerful and accurate again for long-distance shooting. Personally I see no issue in increasing the power of my Gladiator to 320 m/sec when using one of these bullets. Pretty sure they will then reach the optimum sub-sonic range at around 900 Ft / sec with a bit longer barrel and will not get wasted at Mach1 or above. 8-)
Arktokosmos

Postby requoil on Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:18 am

Hi again, I use also Bisley mags which I think are the same thing as the H&N Barracuda's. If power is very important I think 22 has got to be your choice, there is not such a wide choice or availability of 25 pellets, and if you are limited to say the UK 12 ft/lb limit then I would recommend 177 every time, flatter trajectory, good choice of pellets which are often cheaper than the 22 equivalent.

Safe shooting friend.
requoil

Postby spectrecustom on Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:48 am

requoil wrote:Hi again, I use also Bisley mags which I think are the same thing as the H&N Barracuda's. If power is very important I think 22 has got to be your choice, there is not such a wide choice or availability of 25 pellets, and if you are limited to say the UK 12 ft/lb limit then I would recommend 177 every time, flatter trajectory, good choice of pellets which are often cheaper than the 22 equivalent.

Safe shooting friend.

honestly im getting a little bit fed up with keep aggreing with you but again you got me 100% :oops:
FX SPECT8TER DA CUSTOM AND AA TX200HC CUSTOM
spectrecustom

Postby Arktokosmos on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:52 pm

Well ... been talking with my local gunsmith again. He is actually persuaded, that FX airguns are "near perfection" and any means of trying to push the performanche further up (to 320 m / sec for example ...) will only result in a worse precision and overall performance of the gun. Main argument is, that a pellet has to pass the soundbarrier twice when being fired ultra-sonic and that this will only affect things in a negative way. Personally I don't know what to think, really. On one side FX airguns are fantastic. On the other hand one can clearly see that there are guns available with higher velocities and energy both in .177 and .22 calibres that are extremely accurate (just think of Condor, Talon or my main reference when comparing my FX to other brands: The HW 100). I feel like somebody owning a Ferrari (or - as the rifles are from Sweden: A Koenigsegg ...:lol: ) who would like to get even more performance out of this "rocket". On the other hand it just normal that we wikings in the north are trying to explore the outer limits and push them further and furter... 8-)
So once more: Where would you guys see further possibilities both in terms of precision, power, energy, handling etc. to improve an FX Gladiator DA to the "ultimate FX Gladiator gun"?
One thing i really love about the DA is the enormous amount of air it holds - second to none.

Thank you very much in advance.
Arktokosmos

Postby requoil on Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:40 pm

I have a Gunpower Storm and therefore use the Talon site, I have been reading recent posts on there about how easy it is to go supersonic, BUT, how impossible it is to do this and retain any degree of accuracy.

requoil

Postby Arktokosmos on Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:50 am

requoil wrote:.

I have a Gunpower Storm and therefore use the Talon site, I have been reading recent posts on there about how easy it is to go supersonic, BUT, how impossible it is to do this and retain any degree of accuracy.

Found this great article:
http://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2005/03/why-cant-i-go-supersonic.html.

However, if the aim is to transport heavier pellets like the H&N Barracuda or H&N Silver Point and you are planning to use these pellets exclusively: wouldn't a speed of 320 m / sec with FX standard pellets in .177 just happen to propel them to around 280 - 300 m / sec (thus the ideal subsonic range) thus maintaining accuracy?
Arktokosmos

Postby requoil on Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 am

So if you want to go supersonic with an airgun you are better off doing it with a boat tail solid pellet at mach 2 to avoid the following shock wave. Must be some airgun, and as I have said somewhere on here before, doesn't a 17 HMR perform this task.
requoil

Postby gregPCP on Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:45 am

http://www.luftvapen.e-butiken.se/

they can help you with a japan hammer , a little hint phone them and tell them exactly what you want to do and I am sure you will be pleasantly surprised as to what they can deliver , just make sure that that laws governing your airgun permit what you are wanting to do , I am in denmark so i have no problem going full bore :D
gregPCP

PreviousNext

Return to FX Gladiator