Trigger and sear question

Another biathlon sidelever style shooter, with automatic return (FX6000). Also known as FX Superswift and Logun Dominator.

Trigger and sear question

Postby kash2001 on Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 pm

Hi Guys back again on this Cutlass, thought I was through the woods with this one , got a new male valve inlet as per my previous post on air leak, all fitted and now holding air. But now back together the biathlon lever is not cocking the gun :-(

I have taken off the back where the power spring is and all seems in order I can see the sear at the back on the small piston sleeve and have adjusted the power screw at the back from loose to right in but the sear wont engage ?? I know this gun has been in bits for over a year now, but what have I missed ??

I have the Biathlon lever through the center pin that engages the piston sleeve and on the pin at the end of the top half of the breech, it has spring tension when pulling it back and returns ok, but its just not holding the piston sleeve it just slides back and forth.

Any help appreciated as age is clearly showing and I just cant remember what I have missed in reassembly to engage the sear. I have reassembled and used the rear spring tensioner in the stock but its just not working.

Many thanks for any assistance as I'm nearly there, and cant wait to it out in the field again.

ATB
Paul
kash2001

Re: Trigger and sear question

Postby PolarWolf on Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:09 am

Two possibilities:
The hammer doesn't get pulled back far enough for the sear to catch it. Or the trigger assembly itself isn't in order, stuff like: sear broken, spring missing, assembled wrong.

The best thing to do is pull the trigger assembly out (three pins) and have a look at what comes out and how.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby kash2001 on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:10 am

thanks Polarwolf took the trigger assembly apart and all looks in order nothing broken, springs good etc, it may be the sear has worn but i dont think it is that, its as if the piston sleeve just isnt doing back far enough to engage the sear, but the biathlon lever goes all the way back but the sear cant engage it ?

I have read but a little unclear in my head, i think it is to do with the cocking lever assemble itself, the middle rod in the cocking lever, does it matter which way up it is ?? as it looks identical both ways up, all I have is the little spring at the back with ball in a recess, a post pin for the lever, and the sliding rod as just discussed in the lever track am I missing anything else here ?

Also I have found a little brass solid cylinder about 3mm long and the same color as the pellet probe. Cant find anywhere to put it but it may have come of another couple of guns I have stripped as the wife has been tidying my workshop as were planning on moving !!! and things tend to disappear when she is around.

Any thoughts on the biathlon section of the brass cylinder would be great, just a thought is there adjustment on the trigger to increase the engagement of the trigger sear if so what grub screw would it be ?

Thanks
Paul
kash2001

Postby PolarWolf on Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:15 am

There should be a little sleeve around the connecting pin which fits nicely into the "track" of the sidelever cocking assembly. Maybe the little brass thingie you found fits that description?

You could also have a trigger which is set too light to it won't engage properly. Make it a bit heavier and see how that goes?
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut

I've had:
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby kash2001 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:09 pm

Hi Polorwolf,

Right think I have found the culprit, the trigger sear was at fault it had a fracture through it, bought a new one but having problems re-assembling the trigger so that it holds the piston sleeve. If there is a thread on cutlass trigger or similar assembly, it all looks right but the sear protrudes to much for the piston to slide back over it when cocking.

The 1st catch on the sear should be under the piston and when cocking, the piston sleeve bulge is slid over the 1st sear until it hits the 2nd catch that protrudes, I am assuming that the bulge in the piston sleeve should then be held by the 1st catch on the sear until spring pressure is exerted on the rear spring pushing the rear of the sear up releasing the piston from the 1st catch.

Hope that made sense LoL it does in my mind, would do pics but its so dark in the assembly that I dont think it would help, if there is a good description of trigger assemble with the piston that would be great.

Thanks
Paul
kash2001

Postby kash2001 on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm

Ok updated on this issue, the trigger wheel no. 7 was round the wrong way ???? now the trigger engages ok, was hoping I could give a loud cheer but not yet grasshopper !!!!

The rifle now cocks and fires when out of the action, but when in the stock the biathlon lever hits the stock before the trigger sear engages ?!?! I have adjusted the power adjuster in case its that, I've adjusted the trigger balance screws for let off.

I'm sure there must be a thread on this somewhere as to the adjustment on the travel of the level and cocking setting but I haven't found it yet.

Many thanks
Paul
kash2001

Postby kash2001 on Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Ok found this on the forum but don't understand what this washer is has anyone got a pic of this washer as i am lost as to where it goes if on the cutlass at all

"gents,

Rang Deben on monday and spoke to a young lady who basically told me the problem could be a number of things....and that i'd need to send my rifle in
Later this week I saw a thread stating that a guy called Liam from Deben was the guy to speak to and that he was very helpful.

On speaking to Liam today he diagnosed the problem almost immediately - There is a small sort of shouldered washer that sits on the main pin above the steel of the cocking lever inside the action, this helps cock the rifle by centering the pin and giving it enough stability to engage the sear.

I have since found that little shouldered washer thingy - didn't realise it had even gone missing!So now I can cock my rifle - but not sure what to do about the fact that I now feel like a cock!?

Thanks for your reply's - I'm a happy boy now

Hi Wesley, I think we've all been there, done that, at some time. At least you found the washer and don't have the hassle to source one."

As i can't get the rifle to cock in the stock, please help cause is so nearly there i can taste it lol.

Atb
Paul
kash2001

Postby kash2001 on Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:42 pm

Fixed and the bad boy is back in action, ASI were very helpful many thanks to Simon. But finally sorted myself, it was to do with the trigger sear spring pushing on the sear itself rather than being behind the sear as it had caught on the rear of the sear hook. But now firing perfectly, although I'll be calling ASI as I need a few bits that are wearing, but now as good as gold.

Big thanks to PolarWolf for his time and input into getting this sorted and with new gained knowledge will hopefully be able to contribute more.

ATB
paul
kash2001

Postby PolarWolf on Thu Apr 26, 2012 3:16 pm

Good to hear you got it sorted.

The FX trigger is great and amazingly simple for its quality. Except the parts and bits are tiny and need to be all in the right place for it to work properly :) But if it does, it's one of the best triggers (IMO) on the market today.

And yet they were able to make it even better with a match trigger.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut

I've had:
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Return to FX Cutlas