Logun Solo Main Valve Steam Leak

The entry level PCP from FX with grown-up performance! Together with the 12 or 16 shot variant, the FX T-12 in all types (FX1000 / FX1000-22 / FX1002 / FX1002-22 / FX1012 / FX1012-22 / FX1212 / FX1212-22). Also known as Logun Solo. The Biathlon model is also based on this platform.

Logun Solo Main Valve Steam Leak

Postby beets on Tue Sep 29, 2015 3:56 am

I have Logun Solo in .22 calibre (around 27 ft lbs). The air cylinder leaks out of the transfer ports when removed from the gun. Thus I believe the main valve stem is leaking (PW157) or the seat (PW165). Here is a parts diagram: https://www.gunspares.co.uk/showcatimage.asp?id=24726

I opened the tube and pulled the stem. The "white" Teflon looking seal did not appear to be damaged. I shone a flashlight down the valve tube end to look at the seat. I couldn't see any problems. I blew it out with an air compressor to remove debris just in case there was something I didn't see. When I reassembled, I pumped it up to 150 Bar and checked and it continued to leak.

Can anyone explain to me how I can remove the valve seat for closer inspection? I'm hoping the O-Ring is just done. I tried to "push" the seat out by pushing a wooden tooth pick in from the transfer port side of the end cap, but the seat seems to have the same ID, and I wasn't able to push against the seat. I'm posting similar question on a UK board as well. I know there are likely lots of guys out there that know how to get this out, and there are probably lots that can tell me which parts I should buy. What I don't know is where to find these folks. :) So if you know who can help me out, I would appreciate it greatly!
beets

Re: Logun Solo Main Valve Steam Leak

Postby Solo1 on Tue Sep 29, 2015 10:41 am

I've just replaced the valve seat seal myself and it's a very simple job.

You'll need to make a small wire hook to go through the hole in the valve seat from the front and hook the back of it, then just pull it out. I sharpened some 2mm wire and bent the end into a small hook.

It's unlikely that the valve seat is damaged so you can either buy part no: PW165 from Chambers for £10.40 + about £3.30 postage for the valve seat complete with O-ring... or you can go onto the bay and put in this search: 321666822132 and then order some 4.5mm ID X 1.5mm VITON 75 O-rings. You can get 10 for £3.00 with free postage. They deliver next day if you order early and the quality of the O-rings is first class.

Just replace the O-ring and grease it with Molykote and push it carefully back into position using a wooden, or SOFT metal dowel, making sure that the angled valve seat is facing you. SIMPLE!!!
Solo1

Postby beets on Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:21 am

Thank you so much. I got it out!

I took a piece of hay wire (small diameter), pounded the end flat with a hammer on a hard object, and then bent a small "L" shape in it (maybe 1.5 mm long), and then pulled the seat out without any problems. I couldn't see any gap behind the valve seat, but there is definitely one. It was easy to hook the seat. I live in Canada, so ordering from the UK isn't a convenient option. This O-ring (similar to the one on the fill port) is a standard size, so I just put a standard O-ring in it. I suspect it is not nearly as high of quality as the one you referenced, but hopefully it will do for a while. The old O-ring was hard. The new O-ring is holding 100 bar right now with a balloon over the transfer ports and no sign of leakage. Will pump it to 200 bar shortly.
beets

Postby Solo1 on Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:16 am

You should still be able to get VITON 75 O-rings in Canada easily enough. Although the standard ones will keep it airtight for a short while, it will soon 'cook' , turn hard and start to leak again. Viton O-rings are made to withstand high temperatures.

At least you know that it's an easy job to replace the seal so that job won't hold any dread for you in future. Happy hunting!
Solo1

Return to FX Typhoon/T-12/Biathlon