Barrel band issues/question

The fast action, biathlon style sidelever shooter from FX (FX5100 / FX5100-22 / FX5102 / FX5102-22 / FX5103/ FX5103-22). Also known as BTAS (Ben Taylor And Son) Cyclone and Webley Spectre.

Barrel band issues/question

Postby Andyjb on Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:22 pm

Hi all, just purchased a 2nd hand cyclone, very happy.
After checking it over I noticed the barrel band/support (grub screws to the cylinder and then around the barrel) is actually touching the barrel. It's not floating centrally in the barrel support bore but touching the side closest to the cylinder. I've tried adjusting the grub screws and checked all the barrel and action screws, all OK.
The 2 'O' rings in there are too small. They are inside the groove, so are doing nothing. I can only assume someone has either fitted the wrong size or purposely done it to try and make the barrel float freely.

Any thoughts how to fix? It can't be good for accuracy and I keep getting the odd flyer which this could be causing.

Cheers
Andyjb

Re: Barrel band issues/question

Postby Solo1 on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:15 pm

Just take out the small rings and and buy some slightly larger ones. Measure the inside of the barrel band groove with a vernier if you have one.

I always buy my Viton 'O' rings here. They have a great selection of sizes at very reasonable prices for packs of 5 rings.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/sealforceori ... lsolutions
Solo1

Postby Andyjb on Tue Jul 03, 2018 11:58 pm

It's an option, but would like the barrel to be more central without using O rings to force it into position. I don't think it should be touching the sides with no O rings.
Andyjb

Postby Suffolk Rifle on Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Shouldn't think that the barrel touching the band is the cause of the odd flier - more probably (if it's one shot per mag) it's the mag, I've got several mags for mine & only one will be accurate with all 8 shots, the others vary from 1 to 3 fliers.
The barrel band is supposed to hold the barrel in place using the O rings as cushions - I've added one to all our guns, even the Vermy, just to stop any accidental knocks from bending the barrel at the breech end, hasn't affected accuracy on any of them either way (better or worse)

Edit If wanting a free floating barrel, just remove the barrel support - they are an after-market add-on ;)
.177 walnut stocked Cyclone Carbine
.177 mk1 Vermy
.177 walnut stocked L/W Typhoon
.177 synth stocked S/T Typhoon
Suffolk Rifle

Postby cyclone sniper on Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:39 pm

i use my cyclone for hunting and i never used a barrel band .. if the band gets knocked or moved it will hold your barrel off zero :roll:
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Return to FX Cyclone