First time strip/tune advice.

The model which started it all. Also known as Webley FX2000 and RWS Exalibre. FX Tarantula and FX Timber Wolf seem to be similar rifles, as is the FX Rapier.

First time strip/tune advice.

Postby mazperks on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:47 am

Hi, since getting my 2000 fac recently, I,ve acquired a combro to check it out.
I was told it was at 24 ftlb but its actually 20 ish, so I'm going to try to get it to 25 ftlb.
I've read the posts on tuning, and did a strip down to familliarise myself with the workings, but have a few queries I hope someone can clarify, before I commence tuning.

Firstly, transfer port restrictor adjustment. There is only one grub screw in the hole, approx 12mm long, allen head,which I assume is the restrictor. (The lock screw therefore must be missing).This was screwed well out from the transfer port, so I cant get any more power there. By the way I could not see a rubber ball restrictor at the port when screwing adjuster in and out. Do some models not have this fitted, I (dont suppose it matters if its screwed out for fac.)

Next I looked at the hammer/spring. I had a pig of a job unscrewing it as there was a groove in the hammer rather than a hole, to fit a locking pin for removal. Being locktited and having to put a lot of force on the screwdriver, the pin just kept popping out.
The spring screw was fully tight (clockwise) so no further power to be gained there. I havent seen it mentioned on here, but the spring could be pre-tensioned with one or two washers each end. Has anyone tried this with positive results? Other than this I suppose I could try a new spring, are there two different strengths?

Well there's a few questions here to be answered, and I'm sorry if they have been dealt with before, but even though the Fx2000 is an older model, there are still new people like me finding out what a good piece of kit this is, so I look forward to hearing from anyone with "the Knowledge."

Cheers Ian.
mazperks

Re: First time strip/tune advice.

Postby mazperks on Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:06 pm

Hi again, I was too impatient to wait for any replies to my queries, so went ahead with shimming the spring with two washers. I put them both at the rear end as its a bit awkward trying to get one to fit at the front due to the shoulder on the hammer.

The result- with AA Field 16g, 30 ft lb, with the restrictor out five turns, Filled to 180 bar,quite pleased with that.
I then set it at 2 1/2 turns out and it gives me 25 ftlb, so I'll leave it at that and do a full string to see the power curve, and I'll show the result.

I've done a small mod at the same time. I do some barn shooting now and then, rats ferals etc, so to make it easier to power it down to prevent damage, I've drilled a hole in the stock over the restrictor access hole, and fitted a brass machine screw as the adjuster. Now I can change shooting mode in seconds with a small screwdriver. Anyone else out there thought of that one?

Regards Ian.
mazperks

Postby cyclone sniper on Fri Sep 06, 2013 8:04 pm

mazperks wrote:Hi again, I was too impatient to wait for any replies to my queries, so went ahead with shimming the spring with two washers. I put them both at the rear end as its a bit awkward trying to get one to fit at the front due to the shoulder on the hammer.

The result- with AA Field 16g, 30 ft lb, with the restrictor out five turns, Filled to 180 bar,quite pleased with that.
I then set it at 2 1/2 turns out and it gives me 25 ftlb, so I'll leave it at that and do a full string to see the power curve, and I'll show the result.

I've done a small mod at the same time. I do some barn shooting now and then, rats ferals etc, so to make it easier to power it down to prevent damage, I've drilled a hole in the stock over the restrictor access hole, and fitted a brass machine screw as the adjuster. Now I can change shooting mode in seconds with a small screwdriver. Anyone else out there thought of that one?

Regards Ian.

you aint gona go far wrong with a 2000
and good job on the tune up
great idea on the power ajuster , pop up a few pics of it if you can ?
FX cyclone .22 FAC,
cyclone sniper

Postby mazperks on Sat Sep 07, 2013 4:59 pm

I'm in the process of rubbing down and oiling the stock, but when its finished I'll put some pics up, along with the shot string, as set at 25ft lb.
The power adjust mod isn't rocket science, as I said just a hole drilled in the stock above the restrictor hole, and a longer machine screw to reach out.
I suppose you could do a hole and just use your existing grub screw, you would only need a small hole then for the allen key.
Doh! why didnt I think of that before.
mazperks

Postby mw2000 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi There, my fx2000 has a hole drilled through the stock over the power adjust, so i was thinking about using a screw like you have. how did it work out with this set up? did the power setting stay in place without a locking screw to hold it still. also did you have to customise the end of the screw at all?
kind Regards.

Mike.
mw2000

Postby mw2000 on Fri Apr 08, 2016 12:34 pm

Hi There, my fx2000 has a hole drilled through the stock over the power adjust, so i was thinking about using a screw like you have. how did it work out with this set up? did the power setting stay in place without a locking screw to hold it still. also did you have to customise the end of the screw at all?
kind Regards.

Mike.
mw2000

Postby mazperks on Mon May 30, 2016 4:44 pm

Hi Mike, sorry for the late reply, I havent been on the site for a while.
My rifle originaly just had the allen screw power adjuster, with no lock screw, so I decided to just fit the longer brass machine screw as the external adjuster.
It was just a standard screw I had in my box that fit nicely and the head tightened quite well into the wood.
However I found that to get the exact power setting I wanted, I had to use the original adjuster and the brass screw now acts as a lock screw and helps keep dust etc getting down the hole.
mazperks

Return to FX FX2000