Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

The model which started it all. Also known as Webley FX2000 and RWS Exalibre. FX Tarantula and FX Timber Wolf seem to be similar rifles, as is the FX Rapier.

Re: Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

Postby PolarWolf on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:32 pm

The best is to balance hammer spring, transferport, hammer weight and valve spring so that the most optimal power is obtained while keeping a nice consistent shot curve. The fastest result is to replace the hammer spring so more air gets released through the valve. But if that air has nowhere to go (narrow transfer port) the effect is limited.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby lHawkins on Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:25 pm

I gave my Excalibur a dry run strip down yesterday, and found the power increase screw, the screw goes through the casing and sits to the side just like Ian johnstone said, under the transfer port, you can actually see how it works, what it does, as you screw it in you can see a ball moving to restrict the air from underneath the transfer port, quite simple really.

So as was said on earlier threads, that little screw will adjust the Rifle from 7ftlb up to 24ftlb, this has got me thinking! some way of allowing the rifle to be externally adjusted in a few seconds say by installing a inconspicuous adjusting knob, would all be of benifit to me ;) , 7ftlb-40ft mix of springs and ports, different permutations. and staying within the law.

Regards
lee
lHawkins

Postby ian johnstone on Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:00 pm

It's always good to find out how your gun(s) work Lee :D

I'm fairly sure that you''l find a number of 'sweet spots' that give optimum consistency etc across the range of available adjustment.

With my Carbine version I fill to 160bar then have 60 shots at very close FPS spread then refill (it's usually around 105-110 at that point) - 5.5 @12 ft/lbs.

How do you get on with the European Shotgun Style stock?
ian johnstone

Postby Gotfried on Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:13 pm

what size is the allen key to get that screw at the front end out ? i have piles of keys and cant find one to fit, it doesnt seem to be metric .
and the screws in the middle and back are they on top of the breech ?? cant find any underneath ,except the air empty screw .
Gotfried

Postby PolarWolf on Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:15 am

The rest of it...

This topic started as a "partial" stripdown. However, a while ago I did manage to break off the pressure gauge from the rifle, and to make matters worse I demolished the "damper valve" also. After ordering the required parts from Chambers and Hurricane, I was good to go on stripping down the rest of the rifle. The original post ended with removing the hammer assembly, so I'll pick up where I left off there.

First, these are the new parts.

FX2000parts.jpeg
FX2000parts.jpeg (75.82 KiB) Viewed 10212 times

The big bit of brass is the socalled "damper valve". It sits in front of the actual valve assembly. It depings the rifle, and provides a convenient attachment point for the pressure gauge. Next is the brass adapter which goes between pressure gauge and damper valve, and a couple of synthetic seals to seal it all.

FX2000manometer.jpeg
FX2000manometer.jpeg (95.75 KiB) Viewed 10213 times

Since we left off with an already partially disassembled rifle, all that needs to be done now is to remove the valve assembly and damper valve. There's a video floating around on the 'net with a stripdown of a Webley Axsor. The Axsor is very similar to the FX2000, and in that video the valve is removed by tapping (slamming?) the end of the airtube on a table so the valve assembly drops out. Needless to say you shouldn't do this. There's a much quicker and less damaging way to get the valve and damper valve out.

CAUTION!
Up until this point it didn't matter much whether the gun was filled or empty. Of course it's always better to do any and all work on a PCP rifle with an empty reservoir, but sometimes you can get by. HOWEVER, the following steps require the rifle to be devoid of pressurized air, else parts wil start flying where you don't want them, causing serious damage, injury or even DEATH. Empty the gun by pressing down on the valve stem using a wood dowel...might take a bit of effort though.

So, how do you get the valve and stuff out of the rifle? First, remove the end cap in which the fill probe is pushed when filling the rifle. The end cap is held by three M5 hex screws. Remove the screws and wiggle the end cap out. While it's out, inspect its O-ring, replace if necessary and lubricate with some silicone grease.

FX2000endcap.jpeg
FX2000endcap.jpeg (46.69 KiB) Viewed 10210 times

The actual valve is held in the rifle with also three M5 screws. Remove these (1), together with the power adjustment screw (2) as it'll be in the way when you try tro remove the valve. Now the valve and damper valve are free to be removed. Take a wood dowel long enough, stick it into the tube at the front, and push the two parts out the back of the tube. NOTE! Since I was missing the pressure gauge already I didn't need to remove it. Of course you should!

FX2000valveremoval.jpeg
FX2000valveremoval.jpeg (61.47 KiB) Viewed 10209 times

There you have it, all major components are now lying in front of you on the table.

FX2000bitsnpieces.jpeg
FX2000bitsnpieces.jpeg (92.39 KiB) Viewed 10210 times

What's left to disassemble is the actual valve assembly itself. I never needed to, but it's easy enough. It simply screws together. In it you'll find a valve stem, seat and spring. Nothing fancy and if it doesn't leak don't touch it. Another part which hasn't been touched upon is the topside of the action where the magazine indexing mechanism is housed. That's for another day.

Oh, assembly is just as easy. Reverse the order, replace O-rings and lubricate as necessary.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby fxuser on Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:59 pm

Cool Work !

impressing to repair the Rifle in this Detail

Respect, Ralph

Now i think the FX2000 is one of the best FXs ever
FX2000 .22 FXCyclone .177 FXranchero .22
fxuser

Postby stefan on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:26 am

any body got pics of the power up/down screw on the gun as ive got a 2 shot rapier whis should be the same as the fx 2000 ,ta stefan also what way do i turn it clockwise or anti clock wise to gain power as mine is only at 10 on the chrone ta stefan
stefan

Postby Frank_Zuccarini on Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:12 am

Thank-you, PolarWolf, for doing this for us. It is incredibly helpful for us nervous DIY'ers.

Frank
Frank_Zuccarini

Postby gambo on Sun May 02, 2010 11:46 am

Thanks for taking the time, and making the effort to show this to everyone.......Well Done Mucker!!!!
gambo

Postby poisedshot on Mon May 03, 2010 6:08 pm

fantastic post!

can i ask where you got that depinger from? and do you know wether this would that make any negative difference in the performance of the rifle?

thanks again for a fanastic set of instructions!
poisedshot

PreviousNext

Return to FX FX2000