Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

The model which started it all. Also known as Webley FX2000 and RWS Exalibre. FX Tarantula and FX Timber Wolf seem to be similar rifles, as is the FX Rapier.

Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

Postby PolarWolf on Sun Jul 20, 2008 4:33 pm

Since some people are wondering how; I've pulled my Webley FX2000 apart to drop in a new hammer spring. It already had a fairly powerful spring in it, but I need just a couple of ft/lbs more. With the new spring in it, the rifle pushes 30ft/lbs. Since I'm pretty much out of air entirely (all bottles down to 180 bar or less) I haven't been able to properly test the rifle for a decent power curve yet. I think I'll be putting in a bit narrower transferport though. But that'll be nice for later. Here's how to get to the hammer spring (advance appologies for the state of my workbench ;)):

First, the overview picture of my FX2000 before starting the work:
FX2000.jpg
Webley FX2000
FX2000.jpg (105.18 KiB) Viewed 20827 times

First job, of course, is removing the stock. It's held to the rifle's action by two hex screws on either side of the pressure gauge:
removestock.jpg
Stock removal
removestock.jpg (66.05 KiB) Viewed 20848 times

After the stock is removed, the bare action:
action.jpg
Webley FX2000 action
action.jpg (109.07 KiB) Viewed 20811 times

First job after removing the stock is to remove the trigger. The trigger is held by a single pin which can be driven out from one side only. I used a small Alan key to push the pin out:
triggerpin.jpg
Trigger pin removal
triggerpin.jpg (82.12 KiB) Viewed 20797 times

When the pin is removed the entire trigger assembly can be taken out:
triggerremoved.jpg
Trigger removed
triggerremoved.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 20782 times

Next up is the removal of the breech and barrel. Unlike common belief, the FX2000 does not have a floating barrel. Aside from the two screws in the breech block (end and middle) there's a screw holding the barrel which can be accessed through the charging port:
barrelscrew.jpg
Barrel screw
barrelscrew.jpg (77.39 KiB) Viewed 20768 times

When the back screw is removed, the end cap also comes loose, allowing access to the innards of the gun:
endcap.jpg
End cap
endcap.jpg (42.26 KiB) Viewed 20748 times

When the breech and barrel are removed, the transfer port also comes available. Be careful not to lose it or the O-rings which seal it, as they might fall out:
transferport.jpg
Transfer port
transferport.jpg (58.96 KiB) Viewed 20760 times

My standard 12ft/lbs (UK import) FX2000 had a small transferport with maybe a 2mm hole through it. To get the best result I made a bunch of transfer ports on my lathe, the largest with a 4mm hole:
transferports.jpg
Set of transfer ports
transferports.jpg (66.7 KiB) Viewed 20748 times

Anyway, to get the hammer assembly out, the bolt handle has to be removed too:
bolthandle.jpg
Bolt handle removal
bolthandle.jpg (89.69 KiB) Viewed 20753 times

After removal of the bolt, the hammer assembly should slide right out. Note that the surrounding piece of metal doesn't need to be removed. If you do remove it, make sure you remember how it came out!
hammerassembly.jpg
Hammer assembly
hammerassembly.jpg (94.66 KiB) Viewed 20791 times

Now the hammer assembly is out, it too needs to be disassembled to get to the hammer spring. To do this, align the holes of the actual hammer and the casing and stick a pin through to hold it into position. Next, use a screwdriver to unscrew the central pin. This might actually take some effort as from the factory that pin has been loctited into place. And it's very strong stuff!
hammerassdisass.jpg
Hammer assembly diassembly
hammerassdisass.jpg (72.42 KiB) Viewed 20749 times

Now the hammer assembly isn't actually an assembly anymore, the spring can be replaced:
newspring.jpg
New spring
newspring.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 20787 times

Done! Putting things back together is the reverse order:
* Screw the hammer assembly back together
* Put the hammer assembly back into the action tube and use the bolt handle to keep it in place.
* Put the barrel and breech back onto the action, aligning all holes. Fasten the middle screw first, then the back screw wile holding the end cap in place. Make sure that end cap went in like it came out.
* Put the trigger back in, make sure the pin is pushed in from the same side it came out
* Put the action back in the stock

This particular spring pushes my FX2000 to 30ft/lbs at 180bar fill pressure. I don't have any more air in my tanks for further testing, but I plan on doing a string again. I might come to the conclusion I need to limit the transferport hole to 3 or 3.5mm to get to my desired 28ft/lbs.

Now that wasn't hard, was it?
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Re: Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

Postby raptorx on Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:43 pm

thanks,
good work,
I wonder, don't you have a gladiator? ;)
FX Gladiator .22
Webley Raider 10 .22

(avatar: courtesy of Fender)
raptorx

Postby ian johnstone on Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:12 pm

Nice one Polar - very good pics and walk-through strip down!

That should be of use to Mr Hawkins!

That gun still looks great (I shouldn't have told you about it 8-) )
ian johnstone

Postby lHawkins on Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:29 pm

ian johnstone wrote:Nice one Polar - very good pics and walk-through strip down!

That should be of use to Mr Hawkins!

That gun still looks great (I shouldn't have told you about it 8-) )

Yes thanks for posting that up, looks quite straight forward, Just needs the bits and bobs now and away I go, well not straight away, being in the UK got to wait for my FAC, or they will lock me up!

Kind Regards
lee.
lHawkins

Postby ian johnstone on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:12 pm

Yes, Lee ... that is correct!
Meanwhile you are able to ensure your gun is sub-12ft/lbs with your chosen (well any, really) Pellet.

Now, here's the odd thing - the FX2000/Excalibre is an older design gun and has a Fixed Barrel (not semi-fixed/held like the later FX's) but FIXED, however it's still reckoned to be one of the most accurate guns around (certainly in the US).

So a very good contender for keeping for later 'upgrading', I would think?
:D
He takes a good piccie, does Polar!
ian johnstone

Postby PolarWolf on Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:40 pm

:)

I hope to bulk up on air* over the weekend so I can tune the transfer port to the right size. I'll post the results here too.

Lee, I have emailed the guy for two more springs of the (IMO) right kind. If I have transferport results, I'll make you one, and send it together with a spring.

*) Actually, I'm looking to buy an actual compressor, so no shortage of air for me anymore!
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby lHawkins on Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:24 pm

Ferdinand,
Thanks for that! that is Very kind of you.

Regards
lee.
lHawkins

Postby lHawkins on Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:39 am

Out of interest,

Between the Transfer port and the Hammer spring, which of the Two make the difference in upping the power of the Rifle, when the individual items are change or modified, to increase the power does both need to be changed?

Thanks
lee.
lHawkins

Postby fxuser on Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:25 am

Hey Wolf,

Good Work, that s answer all Questions.

greetz fxuser
FX2000 .22 FXCyclone .177 FXranchero .22
fxuser

Postby FXpoacher on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:14 pm

lHawkins wrote:Out of interest,

Between the Transfer port and the Hammer spring, which of the Two make the difference in upping the power of the Rifle, when the individual items are change or modified, to increase the power does both need to be changed?

Thanks
lee.

Harder spring will give you more power.
Bigger hole will give you even more power.
But if you have a hole that is to big compared to spring power, you start to get get very inconsistant pellet speeds.
This i based on taking a full power typhoon and trying to get it back down to 12fpe, (16j).
jeff
FXpoacher

Next

Return to FX FX2000