Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

The model which started it all. Also known as Webley FX2000 and RWS Exalibre. FX Tarantula and FX Timber Wolf seem to be similar rifles, as is the FX Rapier.

Re: Webley FX2000 (partial) strip and "tune"

Postby PolarWolf on Mon May 03, 2010 9:11 pm

poisedshot wrote:fantastic post!

can i ask where you got that depinger from? and do you know wether this would that make any negative difference in the performance of the rifle?

thanks again for a fanastic set of instructions!

It comes from Chambers and it's part of the FX2000 design. It can be left out but then you'd need something to plug the holes :)

It actually improves the performance due to its (poor man's) regulating function.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby carld43 on Sun Jun 20, 2010 12:13 pm

PolarWolf wrote:
Now the hammer assembly is out, it too needs to be disassembled to get to the hammer spring. To do this, align the holes of the actual hammer and the casing and stick a pin through to hold it into position. Next, use a screwdriver to unscrew the central pin. This might actually take some effort as from the factory that pin has been loctited into place. And it's very strong stuff!
hammerassdisass.jpg

Now the hammer assembly isn't actually an assembly anymore, the spring can be replaced:

Done! Putting things back together is the reverse order:
* Screw the hammer assembly back together
* Put the hammer assembly back into the action tube and use the bolt handle to keep it in place.
* Put the barrel and breech back onto the action, aligning all holes. Fasten the middle screw first, then the back screw wile holding the end cap in place. Make sure that end cap went in like it came out.
* Put the trigger back in, make sure the pin is pushed in from the same side it came out
* Put the action back in the stock

This particular spring pushes my FX2000 to 30ft/lbs at 180bar fill pressure. I don't have any more air in my tanks for further testing, but I plan on doing a string again. I might come to the conclusion I need to limit the transferport hole to 3 or 3.5mm to get to my desired 28ft/lbs.

Now that wasn't hard, was it?

Correct me If I am wrong (which is often) but depending how far you screw the trigger catch back into the hammer you can fine tune the power? Couldnt this be used to get it at 28ftlbs?
carld43

Postby PolarWolf on Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:15 pm

carld43 wrote:Correct me If I am wrong (which is often) but depending how far you screw the trigger catch back into the hammer you can fine tune the power? Couldnt this be used to get it at 28ftlbs?

That works, but you'll have to secure it with loctite or somesuch. It won't stay in place on its own if it isn't screwed in tight.
Webley FX2000 .22
FX T400 .25
FX Monsoon .22 Walnut
FX Cyclone .177 Regulated
FX Biathlon .177 Regulated

I've had:
Pretty much every model FX made :)
PolarWolf
Site Admin

Postby chillitt on Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:16 pm

Thanks for this, I finally got around to changing the seal in the charging port tonight.. Been putting that off for ages! Just one thing, theoretically, if someone was muppet enough to lose the spring that pushes against the trigger block (CS623 on the diagram) then the spring found in an old fashioned brass BC bulbholder that ensures a good contact with the base of the bulb is just the right size... ;)
(I know that's not exactly in the way of sorting out the charging port seal, but I took the scenic route... :D )
chillitt

Postby Holland7 on Mon May 13, 2013 4:52 pm

Polar wolf, many thanks for putting this thread up. Just used it to replace the seals in my rifle, all done and dusted in short order with no hassle except a little loctite to wrestle with!
Holland7

Postby Tony1951 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:36 pm

Sorry to re-open this old thread but it covers some important information on the Axsor design and tuning up.

I am very keen to know what the best size of opening in the transfer port is for the power levels that Polar Wolf is talking about here.

Unfortunately, after doing this excellent thread he did not come back to post on how the different port sizes affected the performance of the rifle.

I have a very nice Webley Axsor .22 rifle set up for UK 12ft pound power levels. I have it on my firearms certificate and am allowed to raise its power to whatever level the gun can achieve. I want to get to about 900 fps to make it have a more usable trajectory for pest control at about 50 and 60yards. The rifle is very accurate as it is, but the curve is too much for practical use around the farm. The Webley Axsor is in most ways the same rifle as the FX2000 - certainly around the hammer mechanism and the transfer port, so whatever works for the FX2000 will also work for my version of the design.

Can anyone help me by telling what the best port size is?

Also, where can the spring shown in the thread be bought from?

Many thanks - hoping someone can help.

Tony

EDIT:

OK - I got no reply to my enquiry - people have obviously moved on from the FX2000 but I ordered some springs for the hammer of the AXSOR rifle from T R Robb which have moved the power from 13.6ft pounds to 25 ft pounds> That was the only modification needed. The transfer port on my rifle was already 3mm in diameter so I thought that was about good enough. The muzzle velocity for a 14.3 gn accupell pellet has gone from 654fps to 895fps which is what I wanted to produce a flatter trajectory. I will be testing the rifle on the farm on Monday to see that accuracy has not been affected, but I have no reason to expect that it will be. previously the rifle made a ragged hole group at 30 yards and I have every reason to think that even that size deviance was probably caused by me not the gun. It will be interesting to see how far the shot count has been altered. It used to do about 80 shots per air charge. I'm expecting it to be in the thirties now. Using a ballistic calculator the energy now at 60 yards is the same as what used to be the muzzle energy before the modification.
Tony1951

Postby Tony1951 on Mon Apr 10, 2017 7:00 pm

Where can I buy this spring? I have a more powerful spring but it is made of thicker wire and is probably not correct.
Attachments
FX2000 hammer spring.jpg
FX2000 hammer spring.jpg (84.61 KiB) Viewed 4014 times
Tony1951

Previous

Return to FX FX2000