Inlet valve gas leak - seal replacement?

The model which started it all. Also known as Webley FX2000 and RWS Exalibre. FX Tarantula and FX Timber Wolf seem to be similar rifles, as is the FX Rapier.

Inlet valve gas leak - seal replacement?

Postby Farmer-chris on Mon May 18, 2020 12:01 pm

Hi everyone, first time posting so be gentle. Hopefully some people are still active and can help me out with some advice.

We have had an fx2000 for years here on the farm and we've always taken it to local gunsmith for filling and fixing a few small leaks these are so classic for. We decided to buy a Webley accuair stirrup pump and a probe recently to enable more flexible filling at home.

The other day I was filling up for first time, all going smoothly and reached just shy of the 200bar pressure. Just as I was about to release the bleed screw the handle shot up as air started pouring back out of the rifle into the pump. It continued to drain all the pressure out of the cylinder immediately.

I presume the seal/o-ring has gone, (which we have only just had fixed last filling but has been sitting unused for a while) is it worth trying the replacement myself if I buy a seal or do a full strip and reseal? Should I buy the complete seal pack or the complete pack including the valve from chambers?

Also, could I have done something wrong to cause this problem?

Sorry for all the questions, I've always been a CF and RF rifle guy mainly.

Cheers
Chris
Farmer-chris

Re: Inlet valve gas leak - seal replacement?

Postby Ajm on Tue May 19, 2020 7:17 pm

could be the seal,

if your pump was stored in a loft or somewhere dusty you may have pumped debris into the gun which has stopped it from sealing at the front filler hole.

if one seal has gone from age, then it might be best to do the whole gun at once if you are going to the trouble of stripping the rifle.

A
Ajm

Postby Farmer-chris on Tue May 19, 2020 7:28 pm

No it's been stored in the gun cabinet and with the external plug so shouldn't have had any dust, quite careful to keep the inlet area clean.

Gun shop has quoted 40 quid to do the inlet seal, just trying to decide how much I trust myself over my rapidly diminishing bank account in these hard times.

Cheers
Farmer-chris

Postby Ajm on Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 am

Show me the seal, is it the one that has the brass component? I may be able to make one for you and send it for cheaper, you can do the job yourself.
best
Andy.
Ajm

Return to FX FX2000